Head work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[IMG][/IMG]

Made tool outta an old sparkplug socket. Used a benchgrinder to cut out the side channels. Lets you have access to both sides of the valve stem.
    Be sure to file down the sharp edges so that you don't scrape the sides of the bucket-well if it slips.
    Another trick to protect the bucket well... slide in an old business card between the spring and the sides of the bucket-well.
    When putting in the valve keepers... Stick the keeper to a screwdriver mit a little dab o' axle grease. Stick this through the tool next to the valve, and come in from the other side mit a small screwstick and put it in place.
    I didn't have a large "C" clamp, so using a long extension and a socket wrench, I had my lazy 19 year old son, (who still doesn't have a job) put some weight on it to compress the spring while I worked.
    And don't laugh at my drawings. (I'm more autistic than artistic)
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

http://homepages.inspire.net.nz/~patrick/ported head.jpg
      Last edited by pggg; 06-13-2005, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Also, tip petrol into the ports to check the valves' seal. If no leaks then no need to lap them.

Comment

OH NO!!!

Well, the little tube with the window worked like a charm to get all the keepers out and everything came apart just fine - EXCEPT - one of the exhaust valves is stuck. It is soaking in WD-40 right now, but it is stuck good. I actually tried whacking the stem with a soft steel drift and a 5lb hammer and nothing - not budging - like it's welded in! Haven't heated anything, but I guess that's next. Other ideas? Is this valve going to be useable? Is this head going to be useable?
          I support public transportation.
          It leaves more room for motorcycles!

Comment

Pretty good idea AND a good drawing.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Re: OH NO!!!

The valve is likely bent. Check and see if it is gummed-up with something. Carb cleaner might help to penetrate and disolve any gummy deposits. I happen to know that bondo can do this! I had a stuck one that I needed channel-locks to rotate the bugger to free it up. Be sure and check the valve guide with the new valve in place (no springs and keepers yet)...rock the valve and there should be no slop.

Originally posted by fabriqueprecis
              Well, the little tube with the window worked like a charm to get all the keepers out and everything came apart just fine - EXCEPT - one of the exhaust valves is stuck. It is soaking in WD-40 right now, but it is stuck good. I actually tried whacking the stem with a soft steel drift and a 5lb hammer and nothing - not budging - like it's welded in! Haven't heated anything, but I guess that's next. Other ideas? Is this valve going to be useable? Is this head going to be useable?
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
              X