81 Xs1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81 Xs1100

Last summer, when I was getting my eyes checked, I mentioned to my eye doctor that I had just purchased my first motorcycle. He happenned to be a motorcycle enthusiast, so we had a pretty nice conversation about motorcycles. It ended with him giving me a motorcycle that he'd had in storage for about 8 years.

It turned out to be a 1981 Yamaha XS1100 Venturer. It has 38000 miles on it and didn't run. The fairing was missing the windshield and radio (both looked as though they had been torn off). One saddle bag was broken, but the other was fine. It also had a luggage rack that was in decent shape. I removed all the above the day I got it and then took a couple of pictures:

They were taken after I began draining the oil, which it had about 8 quarts (for whatever reason, I don't know). It suprised my father and I, which is why there is the big puddle (that bucket only holds about 5 quarts).

Anyway, we changed the oil, charged the battery, adjusted the timing chain, put new spark plugs in, and cleaned the airbox out and tried to start it. It flooded horribly, with gas running out of the carbs into the motor and into the air box. After taking the carbs off and cleaning the float valve and seat and the main jets and an attempt at the pilot jets, we retried. With much better results. The bike started, but wouldn't run well at idle due to the fact that the pilot jets were still clogged. But as we revved it up above about 3500 RPM, it evened out and sounded decent.

After this, I went about buying different turn signals, a headlight, a new battery, recovering the seat, a new tank (discovered the old one was horribly rusted far down inside), and rebuilding the carburetors. I did this myself a few months ago.

This project has some time (nearly 11 months now) due to the fact that I'm in college and I don't have much to spend. And also, the bike is stored at my parents house, which is a 3 1/2 hour trip from here, so I don't always make it back due to work scheduling and such.

This weekend, I return home to a newly painted gas tank, and finally get to see if all the work and money has paid off. I was careful with the carburetors and I borrowed a synch tool from an older coworker of my father's who works on Harleys quite a bit (he's also the same guy who painted my tank for free ). I've got about $350 into the bike right now, including all oil, and carb cleaner and such.

If everything works and it runs well, I'll be posting new pics of it here next week.

If you guys have any suggestions, as I near the end of my project, they would be well recieved.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemmingway

Sounds like it's coming along well. How are the brakes?
    Don
    99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

I haven't done anything with them. Rotors are smooth and the pads have quite a bit of life left in them. I plan on changing the fluid. The tires are barely used from the looks of them.

It should be ready to go as soon as I put the tank and fuel lines on, synch the carbs, and do some more clean up.
      "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemmingway

Comment

.. unless youve gotten new fuel valves with that new fuel tank than you should plan on rebuilding those also.. that is why the tank was dry and rusty and it seemed like it had 8 qts of oil in the motor when you got it

Comment

New petcocks came with the fuel tank.

Comment

I think what GNEPIG is referring to is the fact that your crankcase had 8 qts of "oil" in it. Most likely, the gas had drained into the crankcase due to seepage from the petcock auto shutoff feature. If this continues, and you try to start it, you may find that gas has filled the combustion chambers. Liquid will not compress, and you may do damage from hydrolock. This is a condition caused by ineffective gas shut off. Since it will not compress, it may actually damage the engine, usually the connecting rods. Fix it soon, and be sure to verify that the crankcase is not overfilled before cranking the engine.
            Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

Well, its hard for that to have happenned as I had it running for a short while back when I got it. And then I removed the gas tank and petcocks until this weekend.

It started right up, and ran pretty well. I synched the carbs, put the airbox back on, and then changed the engine oil again, the fork oil, and the brake fluid.

I found out that the petcocks for a special tank (I had a standard tank), don't have a built in vaccum shut off valve. So, I have been turning them off manually when its not running while I attempt to acquire the vaccum shut off.

Other than a very putrid smell from not having run for quite some time, it ran strong. Shifted smooth through all gears. The recovered seat didn't quite match up with the new tank though . But it looks decent. I should have some pictures by the end of the week.

Comment

You might want to be bit cautious for those 8+ year old tires. Rubber can age and harden, when it does it gets slippery at the most inconvient time. Like hard braking and cornering.

Steve
                80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                Norton Electra - future restore
                CZ 400 MX'er
                68 Ducati Scrambler
                RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Working...
                X