weird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird?

hey guys cujo has weirdness. this only happens when i am at work.
    the last few day when i go to start up cujo at work to leave he runs fine and then he acts like he is getting no gas..switch to prime or reserve and evrything is fine. now i park on an incline at work and it only happens at work any connection? oh yes once i am on the road switch back to run.
    Gary Chenoweth
    1979 xs 1100 standard w/mods "cujo" Nows needs a home
    Some mods include:
    stage 2
    4 to 1
    pods
    need paint help on tank though.

other bikes are:
    03 shadow
    01 monster
    93 gsxf 650/mods

Re: weird?

I have a bike like that. I have to choke it to warm it up, but I can't leave the choke on too long or it can foul plugs. It will cough, sputter and gag with the choke off about 1 block away, unless I warm it up good before I start-out. If the head fins are hot, she is ready to go. Is this how cujo acts?

Originally posted by garyrc
    hey guys cujo has weirdness. this only happens when i am at work.
    the last few day when i go to start up cujo at work to leave he runs fine and then he acts like he is getting no gas..switch to prime or reserve and evrything is fine. now i park on an incline at work and it only happens at work any connection? oh yes once i am on the road switch back to run.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

well i put the chke on to warm it up with choke on full hits 4 grand at work in about 45 sec pull choke off try to ride and then coughs but like i said only happens at work on parkes incline
      Gary Chenoweth
      Some mods include:
      stage 2
      4 to 1
      pods

other bikes are:
      03 shadow
      01 monster
      93 gsxf 650/mods

Comment

Sounds like you are not getting enough vacuum to turn the petcocks on completely...check the integrity of the vacuum lines to the petcocks...kinks, splits, etc...

The incline (or the sun or ??) at work and sitting all day leaves little gas in the carb bowls, and it's gotta start AND get gas flowing to fill them before it dies...
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Like Daniel says, it might be a problem with the octopus (vacuum diaphragm).

Turn the petcocks to PRIME for a few seconds before starting. (often you can hear a whistle through the vent hole in the gas cap as fuel flows to the carbs).

If it then acts OK, then you've confirmed the vacuum problem
          Rick
          '80 SG
          '88 FXR
          '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

Are your float settings on the money?

Originally posted by garyrc
            well i put the chke on to warm it up with choke on full hits 4 grand at work in about 45 sec pull choke off try to ride and then coughs but like i said only happens at work on parkes incline
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

all this advice is great but, if it was a vacum or float problem shouldn't happen more often? like I said it only happens at work. now the thought of the heat from sitting all day would make sense but my bike sits outside on the weekends at home and this does not happen.
              is there any connection that i park on a slight incline at work, or is it just not letting the bike warm up enough?
              Gary Chenoweth
              Some mods include:
              stage 2
              4 to 1
              pods

other bikes are:
              03 shadow
              01 monster
              93 gsxf 650/mods

Comment

stand!!!

Center stand as opposed to side stand ?Could be the floats sticking a little as thr bike is leaning ,Just a thought.....MITCH
                Doug Mitchell
                82 XJ1100 sold
                2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

it depends but for the most part it has been on the center stand.
                  Gary Chenoweth
                  Some mods include:
                  stage 2
                  4 to 1
                  pods

other bikes are:
                  03 shadow
                  01 monster
                  93 gsxf 650/mods

Comment

Maybe its trying to tell you that you spend too much time at work?

Comment

Working...
                    X