Hesitation on acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hesitation on acceleration

Heres our problem, when we got the bike back from the mechanic it ran ok it had a little hesitation in lower rpms but then it seemed to kick in the higher the rpms went and would take off like a rocket, and it was getting terrible gas mileage ( 50 miles per tank ) So we took apart the carbs again and documented everything the mechanic had done and this is how everything was set ,,,,,,,not one of the floats where the same height the ranged anywhere between 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" sorry dont know what that is in MM's the pilot screws where turned out between 7/8's and 3/8's of a turn on each all where different also. He also replaced the pilot jets with 40's instead of the factory 42.5's's and the mains are 147.5's ( 4-1 exhaust and single air pods ) He told us when he was trying to tune it that it was fouling out plugs left and right so im guessing from the way he had things set he was trying to lean it out.

So we put in #45 pilot jets in ( recomended for 4-1 with single air pods with 147.5 mains )thinking maybe this was the problem and reset the float heights to 25mm's and pilot screws out to 1 1/4 then 1 1/2 and up,,, all this caused was it to run very rich there was a lot of black smoke coming from the exhaust. So we then put the #40 jets back in and set the pilot screws about 1 turn out and now it runs even better in lower rpms but still has some hesitation ( has a gurgling noise coming from the exhaust it sounds like ) until you get it into higher rpm's then it runs great !!

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on what we could do from here unfortunetly the only place that sells the #42 jets is out of stock right now and i dont know of that is the fix or not but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Fed, 147.5 main jets are too big - they'll be causing bad fuel milage and rich running. You'd be better off with 140's or possibly 142.5's.

Comment

P.S. tell that mickey mouse mechanic you want your money back!

Comment

Hey there FEDEXGUY,

First, you need to edit your profile and put in that you have a 79SF model, not just Xs1100 Special, I had to review your other posts to find that info, but it's much easier to check your profile for such IF you don't include it in your posts! You can also edit your Signature, and include it in there, so it shows with each message!?

PGGG is right, change to 142.5's. Secondly, check to see where the vacuum slide needles are set....see if the "Monkey"Mech changed them from stock middle setting! Keep the 40's pilots in there for now! Were the 45's Mikuni brand, or K&L, cause the latter are known to be problematic!

Keep at it, you'll get it right soon.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

.. before you try changing things around inside the carbs take the filter pods off then go for a short ride if it gets better then theres your problem.. this is easy .. if you have the emgo filters they might be covering up the holes in the front of your carbs or causing too much restriction
          .. i fought a problem like this for about two days before finding out that the cheap filters are crap

Comment

My plugs are bleached snow white after a longish 7 - 8000 rev blast. That's with 145's, but with 142.5's I was doing 8 - 10 k.p.h. faster in top speed. The 142.5's were as white as paper too, but seemed to be the best air/fuel ratio for max H.P. The 147.5's I used seemed to give instant torque everywhere. With 147.5's, top speed wasn't much less than the 142.5's either. The big downer was the bad news fuel consumption. Even with tweaked floats.

I stick to 145's for the best of both. Unbeleiveably, the 145's gave equal m.p.g. to the 137.5's and 140's. My drilled 150's actually 165's - were shockers. The motor is modified so my results wont apply to a stock engine, pipes or filters.

Comment

We put 142's in yesterday and I'm still tweaking the carbs a little but so far it has made a big differance. It still stutters slightly in low rpms but not as bad as it did with the 147's,,,, pilot screws are turned out to 1 1/2 now I've had them turned everywhere between 1 and 2 turns seems to run the best at 1 1/2

Comment

Working...
              X