Maxim gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a idea...

Do you know, or are there any members in your area that could meet you with a bike of the same year, and swap commponents to eliminate the possability of multiple issues. The old 1 good machine and swap parts till the good one acts up. If the other one is willing to take the risk . Its just parts ... What part of the country are you in ? I got an Xj, will that work. You buy the beer, I got the grill. I'm in Mn. But I don't share my wife...

Comment

Did you see that new thread about Reg/Rect and how to check it? That bit about the blown transistor in the Reg sounds like what is happening to you.

Steve
      80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
      73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
      62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
      Norton Electra - future restore
      CZ 400 MX'er
      68 Ducati Scrambler
      RC Planes and Helis

Comment

I totally missed the reg/rect post. I have a couple things I'm going to try tonight. I didn't have any time this weekend to check things out.
        With the Indy Rally coming up this weekend, I'm hoping to find a group of guys who might want to jump in and take a look at the bike. It looks like I'll be trailering it to Bean Blossom whether it's running or not. I'll have tools, parts, etc. for who ever needs them.
        The reg/rect sure is looking suspicious. I'll let you know how it goes tonight.
        Once again, thanks for your help.

Comment

LS
          The reg/rect gets warm, but not too hot to leave your hand on it for a little while. The PO had removed the engine for a (partial?) rebuild. He cut right through the middle of the harness. Who knows why? It was put back together with a rats nest of crimp connectors. I decided to buy a used harness instead of trying to deal with the old one. I've checked the wires for color to color match up. I think they're good, but that doesn't necessarily mean I didn't miss something.
          Dave
          I'm in Indiana Dave. I'd stop by, but it's a heck of a drive to MN, even for beer and grillin' food.
          I checked the reg/rect by putting one lead of my meter on red, then touching each of the white wires coming out of the reg/rect. Switched leads and repeated. Then moved to the black wire and each of the whites, etc. I got no reaction from the meter with one of the leads, but had a reading of appx .500 on each white with the opposite meter lead connected. If I understand things correctly, the reg/rect is good. After a little more reading, I now understand that the resistance in the wire should go up when the voltage being put out is low. If I have a high resistance in the wire, such as when the throttle is twisted open, then the voltage would go up, even though there is high resistance. It makes sense that this would cause a lot of extra heat. I still don't really know where it could be coming from.

I tried disconnecting one connection at a time in the headlight bucket, hoping that with one of them undone the heat in the alternator wiring would come down. No such luck.

Maximan, boy I wish that were the problem, but I'm sure I have good flow. I've pulled the line off several time to remove the tank and forgotten to shut the petcock off. Lots of fuel freeflows out. The screens are very clean and the tank has been Kreemed (I wouldn't do that again).

If anyone is coming to the Bean Blossom rally, I would sure appreciate any help you would be willing to give.

Comment

Working...
          X