upcoming trip advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upcoming trip advice

I'm taking about a 1000-1500 mile round trip in about two weeks. So far I think I've got most of the bugs worked out of the bike but I wanted to get other peoples thoughts as to what's worth checking into before embarking on a long ride away from home.

Brakes, cables, wheel bearings, steering bearings, plug wires / caps, etc...

I know I can't account for everything but I want to be as confident as possible. This bike hadn't run for 2 1/2 years before last summer so I'm hoping that I've gone through everything enough.

Tom B.

might as well start fresh.... when was the last time you changed your fork oil? Might as well change the oil in the middle and final drive while you're at it.
    and don't forget to carry an extra set o' plugs, as well as electrical tape, fuses, a small volt-meter, and tools that fit every nut and bolt on the machine.
    If I 'member correctly, I think somewhere on this site someone once posted a pretty good packing list o' tools.
    I also carry new float needles in case the carbs start acting up.
    Ok.... so one side of the bike's saddle bags carries all the tools and the spare regulator and electric brain, but that's just how I do things. (I've had to use the siphon hose, too)
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

i also carry tire plugs and a CO2 inflater kit.

other then that... the standard yamaha kit plus a vice grip, couple xtra screwdrivers & various wrenches. various tubing, wires, fuses, black box, coil, elect tape, duct tape, butane soldering iron... too much crap.

Comment

I find that over the years I carry fewer tools / parts. Here is what I do carry:

8mm wrench used to release pressure in calipers if the spooge hole gets blocked.
        #2 Phillips screwdriver
        Regular flat screwdriver. Hint: get one that does not have a tapered tip. Some tips are more squared off than others.
        Pliers, couple feet of 8 guage wire, electrical tape.
        A few assorted size wire nuts.
        Baby wipes to clean hands, couple shop rags for heavier cleaning.
        Quart of oil
        Extra oil filler plug and gasket.
        Extra clutch / brake lever.
        Couple size packs of cable ties.
        Stock XJ tool kit, though I've never used it.....
        small adjustable wrench
        extra fuses and turn light bulbs.
        wire stripper / cutter
        Can of seafoam, add a few ounces per tank of gas.
        Good air pressure guage.
        Very small screwdriver, #0 or jewler's set.
        Spare set of keys, registraion, and proof of insurance.

I also carry some windshield cleaner (Novus #2 or the Honda spray-can stuff) and some of those blue shop towels to go along with the cleaner. This stuff also works well on chrome surfaces, mirrors, gauges, and vinyl seats.

Before a long trip I check all nuts and bolts, including the exhaust pipe studs and shift lever. Check all fluids, including battery. Do a cam chain adjust. Check battery cables. Clean air filter. If it is the first ride of the year I'll drain the carb float bowls (easy on the XJ, built-in drain screws). Check tire pressure.

If you have kept up on regular maintenance there isn't a lot extra to do to get ready for a longer trip. I carry the spare filler plug and cables because on one trip I lost the plug and on another I fell and broke the clutch lever, found these parts are not carried by most Yamaha dealers.

The other part of your equation is being comfortable on a longer trip. Good clothing, gloves, and a throttle lock, along with alternate footpegs, will get you a lot more fun from your trip. If you don't have a 'kit' you might aslo ask for recommendations in those areas.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

make sure the air filter is good and the fluids are full. Check your plug wires and replace your caps and sparkplugs. If all your bearings are tight, then just take a quart of oil with you. As far as tools go, I got by with a craftsman 1/4 metric drive set, wrenches that went from 8mm -19 tied together with 2 feet of 14 gauge wire, spark plug socket and 19mm socket with 3/8 drive wrench, 2 sizes of regular screw drivers, one screwdriver with changable bits, channel locks (small), odds and end electrical spares (fuses, bulbs, and wire) and one foldable allen wrench set (metric). I also carried a multimeter from radio shack. This set of tools was more than enough for me to do just about any job on the road that wouldnt require a tow or replacement parts anyway.
          I did drop the bike at a gas station when I was reaching down for a dropped glove, forgetting that I had already raised the kickstand. It did make me wish I had stowed spare clutch and brake levers, even though I didnt break them.

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
          Second bike is an FJR1300.
          Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

I carry a few tools beyond the stock set...cresent, few sockets, wire cutters, tape. The main thing is a few plugs and CO2 cartridges. They are essential to reset the tire bead should you break it on the road in the middle of nowhere. JCwhitney carries one of the sweetest little plug guns. It inserts a rubber mushroom shaped plug into the hole. They actually call this a plug-patch. It is supposed to be a "permanent" repair much like a car tire with a patch.

But in the highly unlikely event the bike fails mechanically the side of the road is no place for me to rebuild carbs or do a dremel fix ...

I'll just suck it up...go to the nearest U-Haul dealer and cart the thing back to the house.

I just have way more confindence in my bike to seriously consider that option.

Have a good trip....and bring a rain suit.

Comment

Working...
            X