speedo probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedo probs

my speedo cable recently broke. So i hgad a used one lying about,so i took out the cable lubed it well put it back in the sheath,installed on bike. Less then 120 miles and it broke again. Any place to look for problems? when working the speedommeter worked fine (no jumping or skipping) and the drive by the tire seemed fine and greased. Any thoughts or simmilar XSperieances? T.I.A
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

could be just one of those strange things. just an idea ..could it be the cable not the proper specs as in too thin, or perhaps to much torqe on the drive gear on the front wheel. just my thoughts but i am 100 percent sure someone else has a lot more knowledge about this than me.
    Gary Chenoweth
    1979 xs 1100 standard w/mods "cujo" Nows needs a home
    Some mods include:
    stage 2
    4 to 1
    pods
    need paint help on tank though.

other bikes are:
    03 shadow
    01 monster
    93 gsxf 650/mods

Comment

The internal parts of my speedo needed to be lube. I shot some pyroil silicone lube where the speedo cable goes in and lube up the internal gears for the trip odometer. It had a lot of drag on it before I lubed it. The speedo couldn't turn freely so something had to give. It was making sqealing noise right before it broke.

Gone riding

Comment

The only option might be to ride slowly. he - he

Comment

Hey Chevy,

Did it break in the same location as the OEM? Might have a kink in the casing that's rubbing against the inner cable, causing lots more heat/ friction, and eventually wearing the cable ?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

yea

ya TC it broke in the same place right near the wheel end like right were the cable goes from round to square.I gonna get another brand spakin new one and see what happens.
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
            X