baffles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baffles?

having a thought today about cujo.. lets say i take my baffle out other than being extremly loud what damage can it cause if any?
    and does this efeect milage and or power + or -
    Cujo runs with 4 into one kerker pipes.
    Gary Chenoweth
    1979 xs 1100 standard w/mods "cujo" Nows needs a home
    Some mods include:
    stage 2
    4 to 1
    pods
    need paint help on tank though.

other bikes are:
    03 shadow
    01 monster
    93 gsxf 650/mods

It could cause carb hell and if nothing else is done, you could burn holes in piston crowns, turn pipes blue, burn valves...
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

thanks skids. the reason i ask this is that i bought my pipes on ebay ,and the baffle itself on the cap if i said this right has 4 count them 4 small drill holes in them. as in someone wanted a different sound. could this be causing my popping sound that i keep hearing at idle?
      Gary Chenoweth
      1979 xs 1100 standard w/mods "cujo" Nows needs a home
      Some mods include:
      stage 2
      4 to 1
      pods
      need paint help on tank though.

other bikes are:
      03 shadow
      01 monster
      93 gsxf 650/mods

Comment

It could contribute to the popping. You plug the holes with screws and see if it makes a difference.

Originally posted by garyrc
        thanks skids. the reason i ask this is that i bought my pipes on ebay ,and the baffle itself on the cap if i said this right has 4 count them 4 small drill holes in them. as in someone wanted a different sound. could this be causing my popping sound that i keep hearing at idle?
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey Gary,

My Megaphone now has four 1/4" holes drilled in the end plate, to give it a deeper richer tone, vs. the winier metallic tone it had before. I didn't want it to be Xsively loud, but just wanted a better note! I got it! But, once the lock bolt that held the baffle in came loose, and the whole baffle fell out, made a heck of a racket, and you will actually loose performance due to not enough backpressure helping to close the valves, not to mention getting a ticket real fast!!!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

?

I've had baffle less 4-1 kerker for going on 8 years now. No burnt anything AND NO TICKETS. I love the deep (big block chevy sound of the kerker - baffle). I say if it has a baffle take it out and see for yourself. If you don't like it put it back in. No harm no foul... As for jetting.that is a debait in itself. My thinking is not absolutely nessesary with eXShaust only. Now if you open up the intake side then jets will be needed.You will be bring in a lot more air leaning the mix out a lot! Hence the need for more fuel. (now when i say baffle less, i mean it has the cone thingy in the end, but no packing at all, so it still creates a bit of back presure.) Just a few things i know to be true on my own bike. Yours may be different
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Hey Chevy,

My megaphone didn't have any glass pack either, just the slotted baffle tube about a foot long in the middle of the megaphone cap. So...I guess you could say that I'm running baffleless as well, and as mentioned have 4 drilled holes in the cap as well, but not that loud for tickets!! I was referring to running the megaphone without the end cap....essentially open straight pipe, not good!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
              X