Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition coils

Hello Everyone,

Is there anyone that might know if there is a after market replacement for the ignitions coils? I have a '79 XS with bad coils and I'd rather get new ones than old ones that may crap out again in six months.
    Thanks for any input!
    1979 XS1100F
    4 into 1 Jardine, single POD airfilters, custom paint
    Branded title
    Work in progress since 2000

We have to get on! We have to get on! We have So much time and so little to do!.....strike that, reverse that!! :P

Hey there Flying Dakota,

A little search for Coils could have gotten you to this thread just recently posted:
    alternative coils

Also, check out the Tech Tips, you can get after market coils high performance like Accel or Dyna, but kinda pricey!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Ignition coils

Thankyou TC!
      Now that I have a part number, where do I take it? Is it a oem yamaha dealer thing, or can I go to dennis kirk type place to get it?
      1979 XS1100F
      Branded title

We have to get on! We have to get on! We have So much time and so little to do!.....strike that, reverse that!! :P

Comment

Sorry Dakota,

But most folks know what/where Mike'sXS is, you can find it from the bikes listing page on Partsnmore.com, but here's the actual link to it, then go to the electrical section, then coils, and you'll find it, and be able to order it!
        http://www.mikesxs.com/
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham

Comment

coils

Thanks Again TC

I have had my bike for about 4 yrs now and never have really had to by any parts for it except oil , filter, and that kind of stuff. this year I rebuilt the head on mine and when I was putting back together the wires where literaly falling apart. anyway thanks you for the advice and the help!! I'll be sure to visit more often.

Thank you,
          Tim
          1979 XS1100F
          Branded title

Comment

ignition coils

Hello Everyone!
            Last nite I installed the new coils I recieved from MIKES XS. They work great!
            There is just a little issue with mounting them, not a big deal though, it is just that they are alittle "snug" when they are put in place. It will be nice to have replacable plug wires. Thank you TC for the input on where to get them. I will feel safer with these new ones rather than a pair of used ones.
            1979 XS1100F
            Branded title

Comment

Hey FlyingDakota,

That's great, will have to include the info in the coil FAQ and tech tip...in my spare time .

Do you happen to have digital camera and could take a few shots of the variation of the mounting of them?? You can send them to me, drop me an email, and then I'll reply so you can get my real email address....the site hides it when you first send an email to someone off line!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Do these coils also work with the XJ ignition system?

Comment

Hey SquareHDCA,

They should, same 3 ohm impedence, and dual outputs!!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

ballast resistor

Where is the ballast resistor located, the person who had the bike before me has hacked it up pretty bad, they put a set of 79 xj coils in it w/ the wrong impedence but might not have bypassed the resistor, one coil is bad so I will likely do the retrofit previously described but want to do it correctly. It seems the more I do to it the more I find needing attention, This is my second '78 std. my first was trick (105hp aprox. on dyno) but it met its end in a firery ball(ouch) I still think this is one of the classic machines ,it combines a comfortable freindly ride with the power(even stock ) to very much be a sleeper. The machine I am currently working on is to be a rider, set up for sport/touring w/ bags and small sheild, most every thing is done, its unfortunatley undoing the hack jobs as I discover them and dealing with the issues a 28 year old bike will have. I think your site is fantastic, I will fwd photos of it in its black cherry metalflake glory soon.

Comment

Hey Bill,

The Ballast Resistor is usually mounted on a metal flange on the frame just above the valve cover, under the tank, near the front left side, close to the steering yoke. It should have 2 red/white wires going to it! The wire leads to it are often wrapped in fabric type insulation. IT's about 2 inches long, running same direction as frame tube. Good Luck.
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham

Comment

Thanks, I suspected as much, Oh, and he did leave it in the circuit...geez...LOL! Thanks again
                        Bill F.

Comment

Just an FYI, I did a search for the same coil by part number. The 17-6803 is apparently a replacement for the older goldwings/GL1100. I assume its the same coil. It sure looks like it. Partsnmore has them for $26.00.
                          Maybe Honda is a good source for coils for our bikes as well. I haven't checked out price and availability yet.

Comment

Working...
                          X