Bike will not start after running for a while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike will not start after running for a while

I need some assistance on this one. I have a 1980 XS1100 Midnight Special. It runs great and had the carbs rebuilt last year and installed a new right handlebar assembly at the same time with the new engine on off switch and starter button. The problem I am having is after I have ridden for awhile like up to 30 miles and turn off the bike, I can not get it started again with the electric start. I push the button and nothing happens. I can get it started by push starting it but not with the starter button. I thought the first time it happened it was the battery or the alternator so I replaced both, but still have the same problem.

Whenever I slow down to turn it also will on occasion backfire and also die. It does not miss or anything like that and runs great other than the problems I listed. Any suggestions?

Does it click or whine or anything? Or just nothing, no noise, clicking etc...
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Hey RandyMan,

You may want to pull the right handlebar control set and recheck all of the wires, it's easy for them to get pinched, etc., as well as cleaning the contacts for the starter button, check the resistance of the handlebars, ensure it's able to make a good ground! Run a tap from the solenoid wire that goes to the starter button, so that you can directly ground that wire to frame, so that you can double check the solenoid after it's gotten warmed up. Heat increases resistance in electrical lines! IF the tapped ground wire doesn't make the bike start, then the solenoid is suspect, but clean up ALL contacts, power leads, connections!!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Ya,,. What he said... You might also want to check the connectors in the headlight bucket. If I believe correctlly. The wires all come together there then hook into the main harness.
        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
        1-big XS patch
        1-small XS/XJ patch
        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info guys. I had thought and subspected the sylinoid. We have not had this bike that long and the guy that we got it from did some wiring so I am thinking I may go back and double check all the wiring throughout the bike to make sure everything is connected good, clean and free of breaks and cracks.

Comment

Working...
          X