Starter Button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Button

Well we FINALLY got the bike running and it runs great !! It turned out to be the pickup coil wire !! Someone had done a shotty solder repair job previously and it just wasn't holding,, so after it warmed up I'm guessing thats when it split and would'nt run any longer !! Now we have a new problem the starter button no longer works ! The bike will kick over with the kickstart and also I can arc it at the solenoid between the points just trying to determine if the button itself is bad or possibly the solenoid I checked all the wires traced them from the switch back to the solenoid everything checks out ! I'm guessing the button itself is bad seeing that it starts via arcing the solenoid anyone have any suggestions ?

The starter button just grounds out the connection. Make sure you clean up the inside, and the grip assembly is tight. You may want to check the resistance with an ohmmeter, just to be sure there isn't a problem with the handlebars or mounts not being grounded.
    I just replaced my started button, as it broke and popped out of the grip. $6 at partsnmore.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey Fedexguy,

Like DiverRay says, it's only a ground completing the circuit. Jumping the screws on the solenoid DOES NOT rule out the solenoid, cause you're doing the magnetic switching job manually from the outside, bypassing the internal contacts! So....find the wire that comes from the solenoid to the starter button. Then rig up a known good ground to frame, then jump that wire to that known ground. Then, if the starter still doesn't engage, then you've probably confirmed that the solenoid is bad, your starter button may not be bad, and it may be grounding properly!?

I can't remember specifically if folks have taken the solenoid apart, and cleaned the contacts, vs. the turn signals relays, but it's really just a relay! Do a search on solenoid, you'll probably find info about possible cheaper auto substitutes vs. the ones on Partsnmore, etc.!?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
      X