Help with diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with diagnosis

This bike is new to me so I'm still working bugs out. I took it out yesturday for a little ride and the following happened. Was riding along fine and on decel it wanted to die and when I pulled the clutch in it did die. I down shifted to neutral and hit the started and it started right back up. So I started to roll again and it did it again several times until I could limp it home. I now notice a hissing and rattling sound (very noticable) coming from the front of the engine. I checked the plugs, compression, and adjusted the cam chain as per the book (but that didn't make sence) and I still have the sounds. The bike will start and run but I'm nervous about the sounds. BTW Compression was even all the way accross. I'm out of ideas. has anyone experienced this or can someone give tips on what else to try? Thanks,

puv
    78 GL1000 superbike
    82 XJ1100 "now" project
    2000 Intruder 1400

Ride it like you stole it.

Do a search here for the 'pickup wire fix"

Comment

The hissing sound could be the fuel tank vent. Mine makes an audible hiss sometimes.

Comment

Ok, I've removed the valve cover and checked the clearance of the valves and they all seem to be in spec. With the plugs removed and crancking the motor over I don't hear anything odd. Seams to be oil flowing to the top end and the cam chain is in tact. I can't figure out then (with all of the looking i've done) what would cause the noise. If it were a car it sounds like a rod knocking. I'm not sure about the hiss (might be the tank). I am missing two header nuts on the two inside headers. I also wonder about the gaskets for them? I checked the pick up wires and they seam fine also. The wanting to die and then starting right back up along with the (rod) noise don't make sence to me.

I think I'll go and have a nice cold mental adjustment.

puv
        78 GL1000 superbike
        82 XJ1100 "now" project
        2000 Intruder 1400

Comment

Puv, sounds like the headers aren't sealed at the head. Same thing happened to me when the gaskets and nuts weren't quite even on the studs Makes a hissing clicking noise. Crank up the nuts a bit more and see what happens.

Comment

Make sure that the crankcase breather isn't clogged. If it gets clogged, it can build-up pressure in the crank and blow oil out of gaskets. It can also pop the plug out of the cam tensioner!

Originally posted by pggg
            Puv, sounds like the headers aren't sealed at the head. Same thing happened to me when the gaskets and nuts weren't quite even on the studs Makes a hissing clicking noise. Crank up the nuts a bit more and see what happens.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Ah - just in case puv goes cranking up the cylinder head nuts - I meant the exhaust(headers) nuts.

Comment

Hey PUV,

Yeah, with the Exhaust header nuts missing, you've most likely got a leak, so you're going to hear exhaust hissing past the header seals..and you are probably hearing the tapping sounds of the exhaust valves opening and shutting, usually muffled when fully directed into the headers!!

You can get replacement gaskets from Partsnmore for 4 for $4.00, but you need to order $35.00 worth to get free shipping, otherwise I think it's $6.00 or so, still cheaper than those idiots selling them on EBAY for $9.95 plus S&H!!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks everyone, I ordered the gaskets and nuts from Bike Bandit. I couldn't find them at PartsnMore. BB is about the same price. I'm going to play around with the exhaust a little and see if I can't make a difference. I think I need to un-bolt them at the rear first and then tighten them up at the head. Does that sound right to you guys? I'm still curious about the dying on decel though. I guess I'll cross that bridge again when I get the leak figured out. Thanks

puv
                  78 GL1000 superbike
                  82 XJ1100 "now" project
                  2000 Intruder 1400

Comment

Working...
                  X