81 restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81 restoration

What a great surprise to find this forum ! I have a 81 XS1100 special that was basically given to me. It has sat garaged for about 6-7 years. THe story goes that a mouse made a home in the air box and when it was started "stuff" got sucked in, the float(s) stuck?, becasue the gas leaked out of the carb and it was parked and there you go. Now I'm up to bat to try to get'er back going. any pointers from folks may have been down this road would be greatly appreciated. It has 34K on the odometer and only had one owner since new so I think it is correct. It has some spotting on the chrome and the tank is going to need some work to finish...a bit rough. For what it is worth my daily driver is a 2003 1100 vstar classic. thanks bob

I am just finishing up the major part of the restoration on the exact same bike. Let me tell ya, you have come to the right place, the knowledge base here on this site is first rate, and so are the people who support it. Good luck with your rodent issues .
    JC
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Welcome, Bob.

My first piece of advice would be to set aside some time on a rainy afternoon and spend a few hours reading through all of the technical articles. This will give you a really good background before you start ripping into things. The search engine here can also be very useful for tracking down articles from the general discussion area on just about any topic. Finally, ask questions. How does that saying go - the only dumb question is the one you don't ask...
      Ken Talbot

Comment

thanks...I'll be taking your advice...she's going up on the lift this weekend for the first time. soon my questions will be flying...thanks again! bob

Comment

Working...
        X