Oil cooler...HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil cooler...HELP!

Amybody got an adapter plate for an oil cooler? Yammy discontinued them and I've decided to install one...but can't find and oil filter adapter plate.

THX

Yeah,

I've got one that came with Swamp Thing I was going to put on E-bay. Includes the special adapter-through bolt.

The radiator is pretty ratty, so I haven't put it back on Swamp Thing, but I know for sure it doesn't leak, because I've run it before.

Comment

I'll PM you

Comment

Oil cooler

Is there a way to plumb in an oil cooler without the special adapter plate?
        I support public transportation.
        It leaves more room for motorcycles!

Comment

I don't think so. AFAIK there is no other place to get into the oil system.

Comment

Hey Fabrique and Maximan,

If you're so inclined, you can tap into the main pipe that runs along the back of the engine head, just cut it into, attach some fittings, run it to the cooler and then back to the other end going into the head, just need to make sure you have good seals on your connections!!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Great idea...I forgot about that. I already bought the adapter from Randy.

Thanks

Comment

Hey, TC, have you ever done this at the oil line at the back of the engine, or know anybody that has? I was lucky enough to get Andreas' oil cooler from the trans Canada model, but I won't be putting it on until next winter because I just changed my oil (20w50 Amsoil; no problems). I thought about putting a cooler on by tapping that line as you suggested when I saw something somewhere (ebay?) that said it could be done that way. But, talking to a motorhead friend at work, he said that it might have been engineered to deliver precisely a certain oil flow up to the cam shafts, and the restriction by an oil cooler might disturb this. More restriction in that line would push more oil through the other connecting routes inline before that pipe. I know some Hondas (Goldwing's?) had problems with low oil delivery to the camshafts, as a design flaw that didn't show up until thousands of miles. So, if you know someone who has done this, please let me know. This would be the simplest, least parts way to add a cooler. I didn't want to do this and find out the hard way a year or 2 later that I shouldn't have.
                -Deni
                Helmets save lives. Loud pipes hurt my ears.

Comment

Hey Deni,

I don't know anybody who has done it this way! However, when you look at the design of the Oil cooler and adapter plate, it draws the oil directly from the oil pump, straight out to the cooler and thru all of it's resistance? BEFORE it ever makes it into the engine, so if there is any reduction in oil pressure or volume, it is affecting the ENTIRE engine at that point. I don't believe that with the proper sized lines...oil cooler lines are pretty big, I think at least 1/4" ID, and then open up into the radiator/cooler so I don't think there is any actual resultant restriction that will occur (to any significant degree) when running the tap off of that rear line vs. directly off the oil filter chamber. It might take a few more seconds for the oil to start flowing to the cams due to gravity draining of the cooler and lines, but then again, it might not all drain out into the pan, so it may not have any delayed affect at all. Just my observations and thoughts!?
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                  X