carb floots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb floots

got carbs together and going to try Ken Talbot gas and hose trick...i'm using 79 carbs...do i have to plug the vent holes?...O rings seem to work ok...well find out soon...need to now one more question first...when i send out a message like this and everyone sends messages to answere me how do i send a message in the same discussion?

Hit reply, then write message.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

just seeing if this works

Comment

It Worked. The vent hose on the 79 carbs attach to the small nipples on the top, front of the airbox., on either side of the large crankcase vent hose. The 80-81 had these nipples plugged, so you will need to drill them open, or put some small filters on the ends of the vent hoses, and stash them out of the way, but do not plug them.

Comment

i was wondering if i had to plug the vent hole when i am testing the floots...i want to adjust the floots while the carbs are out...using a hose to check the level of fuel...to make sure the gas is not to high or not enough...not pouring into the cylinders...ken made a model using a gas can a hose and a setup with a wooden bench to hole everything straight...not to sure if i have to plug the vent hole or leave it open when i put gas into the hose...there is also a 't' between the carbs...does it check both carbs at the same time...or is there a way to do just one at a time

Comment

The lower T fitting is for the fuel, and the upper T is the vent. It should be open at all times. I haven't seen Kens' model in some time, so I don't remember exactly how he has it set up. One hose on the bottom of the bowl only checks one carb, unless you put hoses on all four carbs, and open the valves on all of them as well. Does that help?
            Last edited by John; 05-25-2005, 06:11 PM.

Comment

IIRC, ken's model was for 80 -81 carbs with the drain nipple ans screw cock on the bottom of the bowl.

Taczu, the 79 carbs don't have that setup. Do the float setting according to the tech tips here. That is, bowls off, gaskets off, turn upside down and set highest point on floats to 25mm above carb body bow rim. Set both sides of each float the same. Now set all carbs the same. You should be fine then.

Comment

ty randy...i was thinking it would work on 79 to...just unscrew the bolt out of the bottom and put in a fitting than hose...your way sounds good...was wondering what the measurement was and u sent it...cool pal...ty

Comment

Hey Randy,

I was surprised to find a large 10mm nut/bolt in the middle of the bottom of the float bowls on my 79SF, where as the 81SH has that phillips head screw coming in from the side of the bottom! So...he can put a stab pipe fitting into that bolt hole and do the fluid balance trick if he wants to!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey TC!

The bolt is actually the drain for the bowls. Us owners of the 'older' bikes know all about them. It would take a very small fitting to screw in there .

Comment

I don't know, guys. That fluid balance 'trick' sounds like such a pain in the ass what with the hookups, fuel supply, leveling, etc. And then when you find you need to adjust the floats? The bowls have to come off anyway.

I know that the manuals show to do it that way for the later specials, 'cause it did for my 81 SH, but I could never understand the logic! Why not give us just an off-the-body measurement like the other carbs?

Someone in Japan is laughing right now

Comment

The size is M8 x 1.0. I'm acquiring stainless socket head cap screws to replace the little brass plugs. Should be a bit easier to deal with than the hex rounded right off by the previous hacker, er, owner.
                        2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                        1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

i did it by the measurement...25mm from the base...thanks guys...not trying it till sat night...i will let u now how it worked out...first i will get nervice...i will either get made or smile...i will see than I guess

Comment

Working...
                          X