case savers crash bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• case savers crash bars

Hi would i be right in thinking all xs11 crash bars 2 and 3 point will fit to all models of xs1100 including midnight ,standards and specials??
    Last edited by gaffer77; 05-25-2005, 01:58 PM.
    Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

I would think so, as they attach to the engine mounts, and the mounts are in the same position on all models.

Comment

I have 3 different sets in 2 and 3 point. All will fit my 78 standard and my 80 Midnight Special.
      Wanna buy a set?
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I would say be carefull. I bought some beautiful brand new MC Enterprise ones with highway pegs and turns out they fit like every model except the special. I still have them and will be selling them soon.
        JC
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I like the strength of the 3-point mounting. What I don't like about the 2 sets I have is the outer loop wraps around the engine cover. You have to remove the case guard (motor mount bolts) then reinstall the bolts then remove the cover. Then you can do what you needed to do (timing check for example). Reinstall the cover, remove the motor mount bolts, reinstall the case saver.
          Since I'm keeping the 2-point on my E, I might make a set of 3-point for my LG that I like. They'll be painted black anyway.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I would say be carefull. I bought some beautiful brand new MC Enterprise ones with highway pegs and turns out they fit like every model except the special. I still have them and will be selling them soon.
            That is interesting, because that part of the frame/engine is the same on all models. I took the 3 point bars off my '79F and bolted them right on my '80SG.

Perhaps they are not for an XS.
            DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

There are differences in bar design. For example, the used 3-point ones I put on my XJ (off an XS, supposedly) had to be notched to fit my stock head pipes. Others have swapped or bought new XS bars and put them on XJs with no problems.

At Bozeman last year I took a close look at all bars on bikes present and found a lot of variations. While most look interchangeable, there are definite differences and a fit between models is not guranteed.

BTW, my 3-point bars don't need to be removed to set the cam chain. Granted, the XJ is not as tall on that side, but just for the heck of it I measured (also at Bozeman) the difference in the XS and XJ, and there would be enough room to remove the XS cover without taking off the bar.

I went with 3-point units for the extra strength, but has to replace the stock top engine mount bolt (the long one) with a longer one. Fond a bolt at Tru-Value hardware that did the job nicely.
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
              X