replacement headlight for 78E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacement headlight for 78E

I read through the various threads on headlights and I was unable to see whether there is any way to get a new one. My 78 has the rectangular sealed beamed, OEM is Stanley. I saw 2 possible replacment methods, 1) wait for used on ebay 2) go to an Autoparts store and get something close and JB weld mounts on it.

I would rather get a new motorcycle light, either sealed beam or halogen.

Any hints?

Scott
    I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Hey there Scott,

I don't have a Standard to measure, but I'm pretty sure it's either a standard rectangle 4"x6.5" or 5&5/8"(6)x7&7/8(8)" style, and you can get either sealed beams, or HALOGEN conversions kits (for cars) to replace it!

I have the Special 7" round, and I got a set (pair..couldn't buy just one ) that were the neat looking clear front lenses, and had colored accent ring(green for Godzilla). They are made by PILOT, sold in JCW auto catalog, can get plain or accent ring. $39.99 for plain, or $66.99 for colored ring! I had to get that to match my colored accent ringed aux halogen driving lights, ALSO by PILOT! And they were fully DOT approved!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'll stop by Autozone, NAPA, and or carquest on the way home from work on Wednesday. But I am doubtful about this. My clymers shows the standard (E and F) arrangement mostly like what I have. Thanks to the creative genius of someone at yamaha, there is not a separate mounting and retaining ring on this thing. The adjusting screws are integral to the sealed beam housing. In the clymers they show a removeable bulb, but mine is sealed beam, #$@#$. This may be a difference between the E and F models, if it is I'll keep looking for a F version and just get spare bulbs.

Anyway, thanks for trying.
      I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

Go for the F version with the H4 bub, other than that they both mount the same.
        There's always a way, figure it out.
        78XS11E

Comment

Hey Scott,

Here's another alternative I found. Mike'sXS has the 5" x 7" rectangular headlights and buckets for sale in black, only about $34.00.
          Rectangular 5 x 7" Headlight Assembly with halogen lamp - Black - Ideal for
          use when building street trackers. 9/16" Mount holes.
          See picture:

Hope this helps!?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
          X