Help with a lighting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a lighting problem

I’ve rewired the headlight on my XJ, added a relay using the hi beam output from the computer as a signal to a double pole relay and removed the reserve lighting unit. But no matter what I do, I can’t get the warning to go off on the display. Does any one know what signal has to be sent into the computer and on what wire?

Here is a before and after of what I’ve done to the wiring.

Louis
    "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
    brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
    '82 XJ1100J
    LED Dir and running lights
    LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
    Modulated H/L
    PIAA Driving lights
    YICS Eliminated
    750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

anybody?

Louis
    '82 XJ1100J
    Modulated H/L
    PIAA Driving lights
    YICS Eliminated
    750 FD

Comment

I'm trying to follow along here so tell me if I'm on the right page here.
      The stock way-
      Power comes in from the R/Y, thru L/W and out of the reserve unit and to the hi/lo switch, L/B. There it's either G (low) or Y (hi) going into the computer. Coming out of the computer to the headlight it's G/R (low) or Y/G(hi).

Your way-
      Power comes in through BR (brown) and with the relay "normally closed" it goes right into the low beam through G/R.
      ***Unless***
      The hi/low switch is in "hi" then-
      The power the relay senses on the Y/G coming from the computer, energizes the relay sending power to the Y/G of the headlight instead of the G/R of the low.
      Is this how it works?

A few more questions...
      By bypassing the main power coming in through the Start switch, doesn't this mean that the headlight is staying on and drawing power wile your cranking the starter unless the hi/low switch is in hi?

Could the reserve unit be bypassed sucsessfully just by running a jumper from L/W to L/B ?

Wile I'm guessing here, my bet is that the computer needs to see some conductivity on the G/R thats cut dead off the computer. Try hooking up a test light to that and a ground and see if the warning light goes off.
      -Tom.
      05 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Comment

Tom You were right about yhe headlight staying on while starting the bike. An oversite on my part that is now corrected.

I have tried every input into that G/R wire from the comp that I can think of. I fed 13.2v pos into it, hooked it up to a ground and even tried a vairabial resistor on it. It has 5v on it while Hi beam is selected and 13.2 when Lo is selected.

I think I'm about to five up and take the bulb out of the warning flasher!

Below is how I modified it to turn the lights off while starting
        Louis
        '82 XJ1100J
        Modulated H/L
        PIAA Driving lights
        YICS Eliminated
        750 FD

Comment

Working...
        X