Front Fork Seal Replacement: Round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Fork Seal Replacement: Round 2

Maybe some of you remember last season when I was having worlds of woes with my faulty fork seals. Being that it was my first time around with the job, I did, inevitably muck it up. The seals were damaged when I was jamming them in and began leaking almost immediately.

Round 2
    I just replaced them a couple days ago and it's was a world easier. With the addition of a soft jawed vise and a 36mm socket it was smooth as a summer breeze and only took me about 2hrs start to finish.

The only thing I'm curious about is the air/oil fork's capacity to hold air. I pumped about 15psi into each fork tube when I was done. Even when I put all 220lbs of my weight on the handlebars the front end only descended about 2cm.
    When I took it out, the handling was really nice, tight and smooth. Then the next morning it was much softer again and the front end travel returned to about 7-10cm.

Are there any forkin' gurus out there that would like to drop some knowledge about air in my tubes? I feel like maybe the rubber o-rings in the cap need to be replaced but I thought they looked alright. Thoughts?
    I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
    //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

The forks should definitly hold the pressure. I restored my bike after 13 years in the ol' garage and, of course, had to replace the seals and....thanks to the information I got off this web site.....I was able to get it right the first time. I also bought a fork air pressure gauge kit off of ebay and installed it on the handlebars. It basically has a gauge and a manifold that has two connections that replace the two air nipples on the top of the forks. I put 20 pounds of air in the tubes over a month ago and it hasn't lost any pressure at all. With this setup you also are sure that both forks have exactly the same pressure.
    Missing Link
    Keep the Shinny Side UP!!

Comment

Did you buy OEM seals, or aftermarket? I have not had any luck with aftermarket seals. I tried 3 or 4 different brands. They all sucked. About 5 years ago, I broke down and spent the $$$ for OEM seals and they are still holding air.

Comment

I got the fork seals along with caliper rebuild kits, new front master cylinder, rear MS rebuild kit, brake pads etc. etc. from partsnmore.net.
        All good stuff, did all the work to rebuild everything, even installed a set of Randy's Stainless Steel brake lines, everything fit and worked as advertized.....
        Check them out, they have a lot of good stuff. I mean, where else can you find replacement horn and starter buttons....javascript:smilie('')
        big grin
        Missing Link

Comment

I meant to say
          partnmore.COM.

.net is their email server.
          Missing Link

Comment

Originally posted by missinglink
            The forks should definitly hold the pressure. I restored my bike after 13 years in the ol' garage and, of course, had to replace the seals and....thanks to the information I got off this web site.....I was able to get it right the first time. I also bought a fork air pressure gauge kit off of ebay and installed it on the handlebars. It basically has a gauge and a manifold that has two connections that replace the two air nipples on the top of the forks. I put 20 pounds of air in the tubes over a month ago and it hasn't lost any pressure at all. With this setup you also are sure that both forks have exactly the same pressure.
            any chance of getting some product info on the "fork air pressure gauge kit"? who makes it? i would like something like that for my bike but haven't had any luck finding one.
            thanks!

Comment

I didn't keep the package but I do have the seller's name on ebay. His name is "STEVESSPEED". He has quite a number of MC items for sell. Maybe you could email him to see if he has another one. I had installed one of these Kits a long time ago and really only needed a replacement gauge but had to buy the whole thing. I'll try to find a name on the gauge tomorrow. Maybe that will help. Meanwhile I'll keep an eye out for one for you.
              Missing Link

Comment

thanks missinglink! looking forward to the info!

Comment

Tony, I checked my gauge and it is from MC Enterprises. I checked their website but they just have Oil presure gauges listed. I did just see a ebay item #4553224405 that looks like it may be useable. It doesn't specify it as XS1100 specific but the seller sez he will try to figure out if it will fit your bike. Take a look.
                  Missing Link

Comment

Here is the ebay link...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35592
                    Missing Link

Comment

hey there!
                      thanks for the link and the info! i'll check it out!
                      thanks again!

Comment

you might also try a fork pressure balance kit - might come with a pressure gauge. Available on denniskirk.com I believe. OEM seals aren't very expensive from bikebandit.com
                        1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                        1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                        http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Hi guys,
                          If it's of any help, I fitted a balance tube between the fork legs which came off an '83 GPZ 750 kawasaki which have 37mm fork tubes as well. I just had to drill a tiny hole in the side of the tubes and the assembly (double O'ringed) slid down into position covering the hole up. It has a balance line running between the collars and a fill point straight out the side which makes for easy access. (I know it's not an XS bit but helped me out where I had no other option at the time)
                          Regards,
                          Errol
                          79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                          Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                          *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                          *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Working...
                          X