new clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new clutch

Hello all. I have a 79 XS1100 Special 35,xxx miles on her and the clutch is starting to slip at around 5500 WOT I have adjusted it a couple times but does not seem to help anymore. My question, what would be the best clutch to use for these bikes. I'm sure some of you out there have replaced them. So I just as well get some knowledgable input. She's not a big powerhouse, but does have some upgrades so maybe if there is a heavy duty type clutch might work better than stock replacement? K&N filter,drilled airbox, 4 to 1 header with cleaned out baffles, dyna coils, larger jets, accel wires, blah blah blah. Anybody still make hotter cams for these bikes?

Thanks for all your help.

stumpy

Hey there Stumpy,

Well, some folks recommend getting Barnett Clutch plates, say they are better!?
    Their web site :http://www.barnettclutches.com/index.html

Here's that info: They only make 1 style for XS1100
    12342 XS1100.... 78-81 Barnett Steel Plates (7) #YP-2020

27397 XS1100.... 78-81 Barnett Kevlar Friction Plates (8) #YPK-5

Springs: MT-45-(6 springs)
    Their web site will direct you to vendors.
    MAW no longer carries them Found them at:
    BuyMoto Barnett Clutches You'll have to call them, but they guarantee lowest prices.
    Bike Bandit only carries Barnett for HARLEY! They do carry EBC brand. Not sure how many other brands make them for the XS1100, like Vesrah?

Some folks say as long as your steels are not warped or ground down....you can usually see the dimple pattern on the surface, then they are good to reuse, just remove varnish, buff/scruff them a bit with emory cloth.

New springs are a must! And you can find heavy duty ones from many sources. Right now....see a post I put elsewhere about PartsnMore selling them for only $4.00 ea vs. the usual $8.00+, an error on their web site? But I just got my order receipt and NO ADJUSTMENT for cost!! Hope this helps!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I reccomend "Parts N More". Good People! EBC clutch plates have been great for all the bikes I've used them in. Hi or Low performance.
      78 GL1000 superbike
      82 XJ1100 "now" project
      2000 Intruder 1400

Ride it like you stole it.

Comment

Clutch

I just installed a EBC clutch in my bike and it is performing well, For the price you can't beat them. I paid about $80.00 for the frictions and springs.
        Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

Thanks guys thats big help. I guess I will have to tear down this weekend to check steels. Or, are they real expensive? Maybe just install all new chit and go from there. Any special tools need for the replacments?

What about hotter cams, anyone know if they still make aftermarket cams? My searches really don't come up with anything. Used google.

Thanks again for your info & help. All is appreciated. Oh, I'm gonna slap some new plug wires on her too......touched 1 this past weekend and shocked me all the way up my dam arm. Time for new ones.

Thanks,
          stumpy

Comment

Hey all. Could also use a chrome cover for the swingarm bolt. Any spares out there? One of mine blew off I guess. Bike too fast....hehehehehehe

stumpy

Comment

Personally I prefer a Barnett. The one they make for the XS11 is a Kevlar. Their springs are a real workout for the wrist though...

There's a fella that post here named Dan Hodges. PM him and asked about cams. I THINK (wouldn't swear...slept since then) he has installed some high lift-long duration cams in his XS11 Special. He could probably tell you more about how to mod the XS11 than anyone I personally know.

Comment

I got OEM Yamaha clutch fibers and plates from bikebandit.com. Clutch works like it should now, even with synthetic (though my starter clutch does not work with sythetic so I'm using Rotella).
                1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Hey Stumpy,

If you'll read over the tech tip about the 1st and 2nd gear dremmel Tranny fix, you'll see the notes about how to be careful with the Star Plate and such.....they are fragile.

You'll need a low range torque wrench, 0-75lbs, cause the 6 star plate bolts are only 7 ft/lbs! Standard clicker torques start at 10 lbs, and are no where near as sensitive or accurate at that low scale! Of course you'll need a standard 140 lb wrench for the main clutch nut, you'll want to use a piece of wood wedging the rear tire in gear to be able to bust it loose!

What I've found about cams are a few places that will rebuild the lobes and then REGRIND your cams with hotter specs. You have to send your cams to them! Check out the LINKS section here!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

Originally posted by stumpy
                    Hey all. Could also use a chrome cover for the swingarm bolt. Any spares out there? One of mine blew off I guess. Bike too fast....hehehehehehe

stumpy
                    same prob here, seems like no one has them though......BTW let is know which clutch you get and how things work out, as i need a new one
                    79 xs1100sf
                    79 firebird
                    85 f250 truggy

Comment

Hey 7911Special,

Did you see my post about Partsnmore selling friction plates essentially for 1/2 price when you order them thru the Brand section of the site, then engine, then select clutch plates, only $4.00 ea vs. the $8.00 if you go straight to the CLUTCH parts section!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham

Comment

Working...
                      X