Hey TC Oil Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey TC Oil Pump

Against your recommendation I started to pull the gears from the tranny with the bike in the up-right position. So far everything is going ok but I just thought about priming the oil pump. What should I do when I put it back in. Do I have to worry? BTW I found that the "dogs" on fourth gear also affecting first gear (which is the gear I have a problem with) are rounded just as described. I am ready to go to the hardware store to get the bits needed for the mod. Thanks

puv
    78 GL1000 superbike
    82 XJ1100 "now" project
    2000 Intruder 1400

Ride it like you stole it.

Hey there PUV,

When you're ready to put the oil pump back in, (Don't forget to put in a NEW rubber O-ring), just pour some oil down into the pickup screen and rotate the pump gear for a while to get the parts well coated with oil, and then after the tranny pan is back on, and filled with oil, then leave the plugs out, and crank the engine with the starter, about 5 second bursts, stopping for 5 seconds, repeat, until you see the oil light blinking OUT! Then you'll know that you've gotten enough oil pressure to then safely start it up.....put the plugs back in and fire it up!!

Sorry/Glad you found the rounded off dogs/slots on the 1st/4th gear combos. They are a big P.I.T.A. to grind cause they are solid, instead of actual slots, and they are FLAT surfaced, so.... that's why I stated IF you can find a machinist, that it could be done "Better", but mine is still holding 4 years later!! Good Luck, keep at it!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC. I'm a little nervous about it. I have some machinists at work and I thought I would ask one of them for some help. I might get lucky. I'll keep posting with my progress.

puv
      78 GL1000 superbike
      82 XJ1100 "now" project
      2000 Intruder 1400

Comment

Hey PUV,

Don't get nervous, you can do it!! As for those machinists, challenge them!! Tell them that us simpletons have ground them with just dremmel bits and they have worked. Challenge them to do a better job with their machine tools! SHow them the diagrams in that tech tip about undercutting the interfaces a few degrees, and you should get them riled up to do it for FREE!

Machinists are perfectionists....and the thought of someone hacking on them with a hand held Dremmel tool should send shivers up their spine....they'll be begging you to let them do it instead of letting you "mess them up" with your Dremmel.

Heck, they might even be able to re-harden the surfaces??
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Great advise! I'll be talking to him today. I'll let you know.

puv
          78 GL1000 superbike
          82 XJ1100 "now" project
          2000 Intruder 1400

Comment

Working...
          X