Stupid Stupid Stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Stupid Stupid

Well, I was all psyched up, installed my NOS boot for my rear master cylinder. Wouldn't you know it, I set the rod too tight, 10 mi later smoked my rear brakes!

Reset the rod on the road, and no more smoke, but my pads will have to be changed and I've got a blue disc. At least it's not warped!

So let's see, pads, disc, 2-3 hours, I figure that little beauty piece is going to cost me $50

Anyway, who's sellin' a brake rotor??

Looks like you'll be bowing to the ebay gods again. There are a few rotors there right now. You do know that the right front slotted rotor is the same as the slotted rear? Do you have slotted rotors? I don't remeber, but now might be a good time to switch over to them.

Comment

Hey Randy,

IF they're not warped, then is the concern about them having turned blue the extreme temperature that they acquired, which might have caused them to become ?brittle? I noticed that sometimes when I've done some grinding on some mild steel that it will turn blue on the surface, but a little slower grinding and can easily remove that thin layer of altered steel. Do you really think the rotor is unsafe...that the metal would have crystalized?? Perhaps the blueing affect is only "skin" deep, and the base metal is still okay?? I'm no metalurgist!

I guess this is NOT the technique to temper the rotor's steel?
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Probably wouldn't matter if it's only on the back. My warped slotted disc cracked on the ends. solid wouldn't. drilled might of.

Comment

rotor

I have several rotors, $20 plus shipping.

Comment

You can fix all, the rotors can be sanded with power sander or wire wheel to remove bluing. Take only "skin cut" off the rotors, make sure they are not warped.
            For the brake pads boil them in water, this will remove the contaminents in the friction material. You will be amazed at how well this works.
            When I die I want to go in my sleep like my Grandfather,... not screaming like the passangers in his car!

Comment

Working...
            X