New 79 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 79 ?

Howdy from Texas. I just last week came across a 79 XS1100 with fairing and bags that isn't running due to the last owner removing the carbs and failing to rebuild them. The tank has some rust and the choke and throttle cable are missing. Other than that it looks to be in pretty good condition. I think it can be ressurrected and that is what I am going to try to do over the next 2 or 3 months. It only cost $75 so I won't have lost too much even if I also fail. Any advise for this first timer to the XS game?
    Thanks,
    KingBadgerMan

Welcome

Hail to the King!
    Welcome to the site. As for advice, read the Tech TIps and do a site search for whatever type of information that you need. A lot of people here have resurrected bikes with the help of this site, me included.
    If you can't find what your looking for, ask.
    Good luck and enjoy.
    Walt
    80 XS11s - "Landshark"
    79 XS11s
    03 Valkyrie
    80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
    78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
    81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

Hey there King,

First, welcome to the site! Check out this thread in the Other Forum, you may find someone listed as being fairly close to you that might lend a hand in person if you need it, as well as possibly a riding buddy!? Being midway between Austin and San Antonio, not sure who's near there??
      Listing of XSives in Texas, Oklahoma

As Hobbit said, please review the tech tips, there are several on the carbs, but please take the time to look at ALL of the tips regarding carbs, both in the Maintainance, as well as Repairs, Mods. Hopefully the PO didn't disassemble the carbs, just took them off!? But if he did, hopefully he only took 1 apart, so that you can use it as a guide to see how it comes apart and goes back together.

I'm currently resurrecting a 79SF myself. I have an 81SH myself, the 79 is a project for a fellow that is currently deployed for 9 months! Take it easy and you'll be able to get them all cleaned out...and hopefully the First time, instead of the "Triple clean" that is commented on quite often here!
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for the tip.... Thankfully only one carb has been destroyed or should I say taken apart. My son & grandson are pretty good at mechanics and have restored a few Kaw's & Suzuki's. I rode one of these I think in 78 when they first came out. WOW!!
        I can still remember the thrill and am looking forward to enjoying it again.
        Take care and keep the painted side up.
        kbm

Comment

Working...
        X