Charging System Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging System Woes

I've had several electrical probs with my 79 XS-F. Discovered broken wires with REALLY bad splices (like twist & tape ), bare wires (2) sometimes shorting to the frame. Anyhoo, I've got one that's got me perplexed. After my latest electrical repair 3 weeks ago (the bare wire), I've only scooted around town, but I've not had any starting probs---like the battery draining--but like I said....just short hops---5-6 miles or so. Last night, went riding with some buds. After about 20 miles, my lights started getting dim. Went to one guy's house, bike died while curb parking. hit the starter button.....not enough juice. Sat there about 10 minutes....got ready to leave....had to kick-start it (TG fer kick-starters). Rode home (about 3 miles). Lights were bright and white---not yellow. Killed the bike , waited a few secs & it started right back up using the starter button. The only thing I can think of is that something in the charging system is breaking down after a "20-mile warm-up", but I think I may have created a mental block. One fella thinks it's the battery (2 yrs old), but that doesn't make sense to me. Any help appreciated . This group is the greatest!
    I'm the Person my Parents Warned me about.

Chargin system woes

Hey there Bob,
    Sounds to me like a voltage regulator problem, either corroded connections, or stuck switching that didn't sense the drop in voltage earlier so that it didnt' provide the current to the alternator to kick in the charging circuit. With the bike running at 2 k, check the voltage, should be 14.2-14.8 per the manual, and if you have an ammeter, should be at least 5 amps.

You might also want to pull apart the connectors and clean them up for the voltage regulator?!

The manual has explicit instructions for testing the alternator windings and the voltage regulator, too complictated to state here, needs diagrams as well to follow wires. IF you don't have a manual, let us know. Good Luck.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanx TopCat. I have a manual, so that part is covered. The thing that bugged me is that this is an intermittent problem and I needed some fresh advice so I could have a logical starting point. I'm hoping it is corroded terminals. That will be my first check. I've got an old (duh) 79 xs Special that I bought for spare parts.....got everything but the headlight & handlebars for $75. Engine was locked down, but that was due to a stuck valve. Got all the electronics....they all check out good. thanx again for the help. This site is the greatest 'cause the peeps here are the greatest!

Comment

Bad Charging

Check the grounding straps between the battery cable and the frame and between the frame and the motor mine were crummy and it screwed up the charging. T.J.
        1980 XS1100LG Midnight Special "Widow Maker"
        1999 Royal Star Tour Classic

T.J. Trahan

Comment

Hi Bob,
          I agree with T.C. - do a visual inspection and go right to the book. Wanna part with the speedometer off your 79 special parts bike? if so email me off forum. billwoods@ameritech.net

good luck
          Bill Woods
          1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
          1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
          2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

GADS! A Clymer error???

Thanx fer the help guys. However............I went to check the reg and rectifier as per the Clymer manual...ran into a slight problem. The book says to take meter readings between the black (-) and the green (+) and then the black and the brown (+). Problem is...I just have a brown & a green wire comeing from the regulator/rectifier. There is, however, a black wire coming from the wiring harness into the connector that plugs into the regulator (the 3-wire one). Help????

Comment

ok...I'm brain-dead

Ok...got my problem fixed. Still don't know how to check the 3-wire plug that has only two wires, but......duh, Bob, there is the 5-wire plug. put my VOM on the highest ohm adjustment. Every reading with leads one way read open. Not a good sign. Anyhoo....replaced the reg/rec with the one off my spare parts bike....charging good now. Btw...I did check my ground straps. Both needed very much cleaning. Thanx to everyone for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X