Headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight

I have an 80 xs1100sg my headlight don't work at all. I have tried replacing the bulb. The fuse is fine. What else can i check? Also could anyone tell me what the reserve lighting device does?
    Thanks
    Joe

Is the bulb good?

Is your tach working?

Is your battery charging?

If the answers are all yes, then I would change the headlight relay.

Comment

And, just to go back to basics for a minute, the headlight is not supposed to come on until the engine is running.....
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Hey Joe,

There is a latching headlight relay under the seat that is supposed to turn the headlight on after you start the engine (the latching part is that it will then stay on till you turn off the key, even if the engine dies).

Your problem is likely there. The relay could be bad (if it's getting trigger and power and not making the connection) or it may not be getting triggered, or there may not be power for the light there. Also could be a bad ground. Get a voltmeter and check things out.

This relay is triggered by a feed from the alternator . . . a wire that has a diode in it somewhere in the harness and is prone to failure.

So, going to the relay is power for the headlight, the trigger wire from the alternator, a ground, and power out to the headlight.

If the bike is charging while running, and there is no power on the trigger wire (you''ll have to find a diagram to get the wire colors, I can't remember them at the moment) then that diode has failed. Best bet there is to bypass that relay. Connect the power to the relay to the power out to the headlight. The light will come on with the key then, but I never had any problems after that.

The reserve headlight unit is supposed to turn on your highbeam filiment at reduced power if your lowbeam burns out.

Hope that helps!
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Working...
        X