fuel sending unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel sending unit

My XJ has a float type sending unit and it's acting wierd. When I fill the tank I get the warning light flashing at me and the fuel gauge doesn't work. But after I put about 60 miles on it it starts to work again. The warning light goes away and the guage works. Is this repairable or would I have to replace the entire sending unit or float?

Not a big deal really, as I just have gotten used to ignoring the flashing warning light and counting miles as a fuel guage.

Tom B.

tom

of coarse you know to turn off that anoying flashing light ? by pushing the left button twice..
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Hey Chevy and Tab,

He drives 60 miles....emptying a full tank down a fair amount, and THEN the warning light goes out and the fuel gauge works?? Sounds like he needs to take it off the bike and check the wire windings on the contacts, perhaps clean them up? Sounds like there's corrosion on the area that is making contact when the tank is full and the float is all the way up, but after some miles and partially draining the tank, the float lowers and the variable resistance rheostat type contact THEN makes good contact with the wires allowing the signal to get thru to the gauge!?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Or maybe the leads are reversed? Just guessing here.

Comment

Hey Randy,

I was thinking of that, and even typed it in my reply, but then erased it thinking it was nonsense?? Randy, you're the electrical GURU, but I know you don't have an XJ handy to test!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

That's why I say I'm guessing, don't have a XJ, but it sure sounds like it's working backwards.

Comment

Bassackwards

I don't think it's backwards because once the thing starts to work and I drive some more miles, the gauge indicates less and less in the tank....

So what's this about cleaning up windings? I took the sending unit out of a spare tank I have and I can't see how it could be repaired or cleaned - seems to me like it's a sealed unit. What am I missing here?

Chev, yeah I know I can push the button twice but then the thing stops blinking at me for a while, then comes back on.. It's distracting to have to hit the button all the time - of course, as I said, I've learned to ignore it.

Tom B.

Comment

leads

on the XJ you cant put leads backwards, the plug is shaped so it will only go together one way. I know what you mean about the button thing,but i can't get used to it. Mine is more on for the oil indicator. But it also has the fuel bars like yours. And T.C. is right if ya pull out the sending unit it will more likley than not have rust were its not working.I gave a small effort in cleaning mine but did not want to break the windings trying to clean them. Good luck finding a new or good working one.
                1982 XJ 1100
                going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
                X