cleaning the aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning the aluminum

My 82 XJ is now set up to run pretty sweet, so now I'm gonna start focusing on making it pretty. It has the original seat which is in good shape, the original pipes which are in ok shape (some fine scratches and a few dings) but the tank and the aluminum look pretty crappy. I read somewhere about stripping the aluminum with a chemical but can't find the post again. I think it must have a clearcoat on it but there's the ugly blotches of oxidation underneath. If I could strip it down to bare aluminum, I'm thinking I could polish it all up to a nice shine. Any thoughts on accomplishing this? What about the chrome on the pipes? Is there a way to remove the fine scrathces?

I've got a product that's supposed to be a metal polish - comes in a can and like damp wool (not steel wool). I'm afraid to use it on the chrome and I tried it on alum. but the clearcoat needs to be removed first I think.

What about using brake fluid - would that remove the clearcoat? I know it removed paint quite well.

So for the tank, It's got some scratches, dings and dents. I was going to sand it all down to bare metal, fill and prime and then give to a buddy for a nice bright yellow paint job. Anyone hear have any recommendations on stripping / painting the tank? Can I drill holes in it and use a slide hammer to pull a big dent - then patch with epoxy or fill in with weld?

Tom B.

I cleaned by wheels and forks using a dremel tool and some circular steel wool pads that fit in the dremel. Polished up real nice. Then I polished with the blue chrome polish.

As to the tank, there are some tips if you search about using a glue gun and a 1x2 piece of wood. If you do a search, you might find it.
    Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Per Brian Shepley,

Clear coat can be removed with paint stripper or similar type products. Then polish as desired!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Re: cleaning the aluminum

Paint spripper should take off the clearcoat. I resorted to using sandpaper.

Originally posted by tab1324

What about using brake fluid - would that remove the clearcoat? I know it removed paint quite well.

So for the tank, It's got some scratches, dings and dents. I was going to sand it all down to bare metal, fill and prime and then give to a buddy for a nice bright yellow paint job. Anyone hear have any recommendations on stripping / painting the tank? Can I drill holes in it and use a slide hammer to pull a big dent - then patch with epoxy or fill in with weld?

Tom B.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Re: Re: cleaning the aluminum

Do not try to fill holes in the tank with epoxy and use bondo over the top. It will stick your intake valves. The substances do not get along!
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

TAB

I just did this to Zilla. Though it was almost "perfect" aesthetically...it had a little oxication on the aluminum cover and the header pipes had blued/browned. Mufflers were fine.

I took the four headers to a chrome shop and they re-chromed them for $100. Or you can try a chrome polish for this called "Blue-out". $12

I removed the four major engine covers...two cranks, clutch and gear shift. Actually I left the right crankcover on and polished it in place because it holds the rotor.

I used #00 steel wool and paint/varnish remover. I doused the wool and rubbed. It took the clearcoat off. then I took #0000 wool and metal polish. That took the covers to a mirror finish. Takes lots of elbow grease. I bet I polished a couple hours on each cover....seriously. But boy did they shine. Looks like they've been chromed.

While I had the headers off I masked off the cylinders and re-painted them black. The XJ had only the cyls blackened. The heads and cases were silver.

Comment

I found a product called Flix, at a swap meet, $15. It did a good job on the aluminum, if the motor was real warm, shined like chrome. Later 'Dog

Comment

Caswell products, which used to be a staple on this list, can hook you up with the materials you need buff up the aluminum to a mirror-like surface. They make a coarse buffing pad that has kevlar or some such fibrous content that knocks off the oxidation without digging holes that you'll need to get out later. The word on steel wool was that small steel fibers would break off into the softer aluminum and mess up the polish job sooner or later.

Aircraft Stripper is the best way to get the clear coat off of the parts to get the polishing started. I used to polish the hell out of the cases and wonder why they remained dull and yellowed until I tumbled to the clear coat issue...
                "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                  Per Brian Shepley,

Clear coat can be removed with paint stripper or similar type products. Then polish as desired!
                  T.C.
                  In addition to the stripper, I also used the dremel method on my carbs. Picked up some small nylon cup brushes and felt bobs, used with paste rubbing compound, tripoli(?? brown polishing compound) jewelers rouge(?? reddish polishing compound) followed by Mother's aluminum polish. Ended up shiny enough to use as a mirror. Of course, it won't stay that way without protection. After 2 years, it needs to be done again.

For the larger pieces, LoHo has the answer. I set up 2 buffing wheels on my grinder, and used the polishing compounds followed by Mother's polish. It's not a "quick and dirty" job, (OK, I lied.. it IS a dirty job)but if you take the time you will be very happy with the results. Minor nicks and scratches can be removed with fine emory cloth. Once polished, you won't even know they were there.
                  Brian
                  1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                  1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                  remembering the same thing!

Comment

I set up my 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a 6 inch buffing wheel. Wheel Max RPM: 3600 Angle Grinder RPM: 14,000 I've got a full Lexan face shield and safety glasses for when it unravels into a 1/2 HP cotton bullwhip.
                    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                    1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

I pulled all covers. Set my drill in a vise with a buffing wheel intalled. Got a stick of medium and fine polishing ruugg ( I still can't spell ) and went to town. Turned heavily oxidized finished into mirror shines. The covers I didn't pull ( Clutch, rear peg mounts exaust ) I hand polished with never dull. That's kind grungey and alot of work. With a buffing wheel though, You want to stay clear of the pain cauz it will remove it.
                      Yippy Yee Haa. This put me over the 500 hump
                      S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                      1-big XS patch
                      1-small XS/XJ patch
                      1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                      1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                      2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                      1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                      1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X