stupid brake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupid brake question

I have an '81 XS1100H. Is there some trick to removing the rear brake caliper? I tried to replace my brake pads last night and could not get the caliper off. From what I could see, there was only one bolt toward the bottom of the caliper holding it to the brake mount. I removed that bolt and thought the caliper was loose, but I could not get it to slide up off of the rotor. Is there some trick to this? I was afraid to apply too much force or pry in any of the wrong places, so I just put it back together to try again another day.

There is a retaining screw holding you back. Look for part number 5 in this microfiche view
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot
      There is a retaining screw holding you back. Look for part number 5 in this microfiche view
      Thanks Ken. I saw that screw when I was working on the bike but didn't realize it needed to come out to remove the caliper. Again, many thanks.

Comment

With a little practice, you will learn how to get the get the caliper off and on without removing that screw. You will notice that it is in a #@$% of a place to remove or replace. Without removing the screw, you push the caliper as far as possible to one side, pushing the piston into its bore. Then you push down on the top of the caliper while twisting it just a certain way and the screw will pop out of its slot on the inner pad.

Putting it back together is the reverse of this, where you start by pushing down and twisting, trying to get the pad slot to hook onto the screw. It all makes much more sense 'hands on'.

When you remove the screw, you need to pay attention when you replace it to mnake sure it goes into the slot, and doesn't just push the top of the pad crooked without engaging.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
        X