Trans clunk?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans clunk?????

I'm up against a wall but I know I'll find good advice here.

My 82 xj1100 received 2nd/5th gear fix this winter(new gears) along with new shift fork, clutch discs and cable. Everything went along well with the help of this site and factory manual.

I've put on about 30 miles with no problem. Today, a clunk noise appeared when rolling to a stop with clutch pulled in, in first gear starting at about 3 mph down to stop, above that speed no noise.
    Is much like a dull skip or jerk from trans. Sure seems like that area. If I shift into neutral while still moving noise stops. Tonight I checked alignment of shift cam and lever and needed to adjust it, as 3/8 inch out of alignment. Problem solved? NOPE.
    I've wondered about clutch but have made both adjustments on that and grabs good and no slip under hard acceleration.

Everything seems to work great, shifts great, no 2nd gear slip but this noise has me stumped on where to look.

Ideas???
    XJ1100 Ruby Red
    XS1100LH "Midnight"
    1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Hey Cruiser,

When you're coming to a stop, I'm thinking you're first using engine compression to slow you down some, and so the rear wheel is pushing the engine and drive train, then you pull in the clutch and there isn't as much pressure from the rear wheel and the tranny slack can get caught back up by the engine still running? Try pulling the clutch in sooner before you slow down too much in 1st, and then use just the handlebar brake which only applies the front wheel.

There is a known amount of slack in the drivetrain due to the middle gear, driveshaft and Final gear assemblies, so it may be just the normal slack slapping/clunking that you're feeling!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I've tried clutching at about 20 down to zero and no different. Tried just front brake, no different.

I've wondered about bad u-joint....anyone had this, what were symptoms??

The clunk is much slower than the speed I would think the trans gears would be turning at 3mph.

I've wondered about something amiss in the clutch like warped disc??

I may have to drop oil pan to have a look at gears but should be riding instead!!!
      XJ1100 Ruby Red
      XS1100LH "Midnight"
      1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

That sounds like the clunk SWMBO's 'H was making a while back from a dried-out spline where the rear wheel meshes to the final drive. Do you remember when the rear wheel was last off the bike, and how well the splines were greased at that time?
        Ken Talbot

Comment

I had the back wheel off last summer for tire replacement. At that time I was new owner so didn't pay a lot of attention to lube on the splines but I do know there was some.
          You may be on the right track with dry spline there or somewhere else. Easy enough to check so will do that.

The description of dry spline sounds accurate, about every half revolution of rear tire or so. Almost like winding up a spring then snap as it releases.
          The search continues.........
          Thanks Ken
          XJ1100 Ruby Red
          XS1100LH "Midnight"
          1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Yup

I think Ken is right,, I had the same thing..never thought that a little grease(or lack of) could make that god-awful sloppy clunk/clank in the final drive. I thought it was coming from the u-joint or the middle gear too.
            '81 sh " Maime" The Nature of The Beast

Comment

Problem solved

A follow up on this problem that has now been solved.

I followed advice and completely dissassemble drive shaft assm and rear diff and greased everything up but still no better.

After having my buddy walk along side while this noise was going on we came to conclusion it was originating in the clutch area but the sound traveled the length of the driveline. I had followed procedures for adjusting the clutch but had noticed it seemed to be grabbing just a bit when warmed up good and stopped.
              I re-ajusted the clutch mechanism and changed to setting of backing off the adjusting screw only an 1/8 turn instead of 1/4 turn to give it more throw for release. Adjusted cable again and test drove. Noise was gone!!!
              Problem solved.

Any comments if this adjustment would cause any problems down the road??

This was a new clutch and cable after doing 2nd gear fix so it seems the noise was created by the discs grabbing intermittently and transferring to the free play in the driveline. Just my guess though.

What a strange one!!!!!...

82 xj1100

XJ1100 Ruby Red
              XS1100LH "Midnight"
              1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Working...
              X