tire load ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire load ratings

How does one figure out the tire load ratings.E. I. 67h =677lbs 74h=830lbs. I understand the ratings, but how much of the total weight of the bike and rider or riders do you use in determining the actual weight on the rear tire and on the front tire. bike needs new tires, but not sure about the weight or load the tire can handle. bike now has dunlop elite's on it .was wondering if the dunlop 404's would be sufficient.bike is a full dress 80sg fairing,trunk,hard bags. I weight 245lbs +better half weights 190lbs+bike weight. any suggestions would be great.
    when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
    80 sg (old faithfull)

Hey there Greybird,

Okay, with you and SWMBO's weight and estimated bike weight, it easily would be 1100 lbs. Taking about 60% for rear, 40% for front, that would be 660 lbs rear, 440 front at a minimum... remembering that there is a heavier weight force applied during accel and decel than just the stagnant sitting weights!!

Dunlop 404
    Front
    100/90x19 = 507
    rear
    130/90x16 = 677
    **Just barely above the sitting weight for rear?**

E-3
    front
    MM(100)90x19 = 570
    rear
    MT(130)90x16 = 830
    MU(140)90x16 = 930

These are still available in the OEM Bias section!
    EliteII
    MM90x19 = 570
    rear
    MT90x16 = 830
    MU90x16 = 930

I say, spend the extra $$ and be and feel safe!!!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanks for info topcat. I figured that would be the case. not to many choices above 800lbs. I can still get the elites. correct me if i'm wrong, mt 90 16 =130 90 16. mu 90 16 = 140 90 16 will the 140 fit with room to spare.
      when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
      80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

I have a MU90/16 Elite G/T on my XS1100SF and had to add a shim washer to offset the space of the wheel to prevent tire rub against the driveshaft. The RWL witt be cut down alittle due to rubbing against the driveshaft.

Did some work with the rear brakes and checked the rear seal on the rear drive and forgot to put the shim back in. Now I have a White wall/WRL on the left side and a black wall/RWL on the right side of my rear tire.
        Do'Lee
        XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
        (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
        (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
        (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
        SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

Hey Greybird,
          Like Do Lee says, it WILL rub slightly against the RWL, but that didn't bother me much. I don't know exactly where Do Lee is putting this spacer, and just how thick it is, and whether it might interfere with the meshing of the Final Drive splines!?!?

Do Lee, that photo is a bit small. Could you perhaps describe in what location(next to what part #) and how thick the spacer is!?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
          X