compression test results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compression test results

Just got the carbs cleaned, new intake boots put on and a fresh set of plugs. Got the bike (82 XJ1100) warmed up good, then did a compression check. Plugs out, throttle open 100%-
    #1) 165psi
    #2) 145psi (155psi with a squirt of oil in the cylinder)
    #3) 145psi (155psi with a squirt)
    #4) 165psi
    According to the factory manual I've failed on two things. The difference between cylinders maximum is 14psi and the maximum cylinder pressure is 156psi.
    I havnt checked the valve lash yet. What do you think about these numbers? Are they pretty much normal for these older bikes? The high numbers are the ones that have me baffled. I was expecting the lower ones. What do you think? Thanks-Tom.
    05 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Maybe there is a little more wear on the two inside cylinders, but the compression differences are not too aweful. Overall compression is pretty high, especially on 1 and 4, but there can be differences in gages, elevation, etc. I don't think you have much to worry about .
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

That sounds high. Being the compression ratio of the XJ is about 9 to 1 the figures should be closer to 130 PSIG.

Having said all that ... I'd rather have high than low.

Comment

Working...
      X