Cam chain adjuster bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam chain adjuster bolt

The threads for the cam chain adjuster in the adjuster body on my XS are stripped, they look like 6mm x 1.0 is this right? I'll look for a heli coil kit tomorrow.

Steve
    80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
    73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
    62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
    Norton Electra - future restore
    CZ 400 MX'er
    68 Ducati Scrambler
    RC Planes and Helis

Yep, 6x1 mm.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I had to helicoil one of mine. Better than new with those steel threads!
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Yep, it's done. No wonder my chain adjust wouldn't last long! Some of the stripped threads lodged between the screw and the adjuster, made it feel like it was tight, and it was for about 20 miles.

By the way, there is a small core plug from an autoparts store that fits the hole in the adjuster housing like it was made for it. If anyone wants the numbers I'll go out in the garage and look at them. Just happened to have a couple in a junk box.

Steve
        CZ 400 MX'er
        68 Ducati Scrambler
        RC Planes and Helis

Comment

You still have good luck though,The threads on my tensioner some how stripped all at once and instantaly. The chain rattled for about 20 seconds, before I could figure out what was wrong the timing jumped a tooth on the intake cam and bent all 4 valves.The bolt for the tensioner was smooth all of the threads pulled out of the housing and were stuck in the bolt. I just got it running again with a head off of ebay. Other people watch for this problem or it will get you!
          Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

Re: Reply

The exact thing happened to me!

Originally posted by excess11
            You still have good luck though,The threads on my tensioner some how stripped all at once and instantaly. The chain rattled for about 20 seconds, before I could figure out what was wrong the timing jumped a tooth on the intake cam and bent all 4 valves.The bolt for the tensioner was smooth all of the threads pulled out of the housing and were stuck in the bolt. I just got it running again with a head off of ebay. Other people watch for this problem or it will get you!
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks guys, that makes me feel better.

Steve
              CZ 400 MX'er
              68 Ducati Scrambler
              RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Working...