Puzzled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzled

Ok, after 5 years of owning my XS, have finally discovered that the handlebar lock works. Now I'm puzzled about something I've noticed: Finish riding, shut off key. Turn bars to left, rotate key counterclockwise to next position, pull key, bars are locked. Reinsert key, turn cc again 1/8" (approx), pull key, bars locked, but now all running lights are on. SWMBO noticed this for me the day I first tried the lock, wondering why my lights were on. I have to say, I don't have a clue. What is the purpose of this? Is this normal, or is there something funky going here?

I thank you in advance, brethren.
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game. (borrowed from strom)
    The idea is to die young............as late as possible.
    1979 XS1100SF Special

Supposed to do that.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

All the way over in lock position is a "parking light". It is so you can drain the battery in the day when you don't notice you turned the key that far.
      At night, if you are parked near a hazzard, the bike can be seen. At least, I think that is supposed to work. That does assume the cage drivers can see.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

It was an option put on all XS's standardlly to drain your battery. This way you can stay brushed up on your trouble shooting abilities.
        It's supposed to be a parking light but if you use it for any length of time, it will drain you battery. Then you can pull out the kick starter and kick the motor over.
        See.. Yamaha was thinking of all the XS riders and coming up with ways to keep everyone physically fit.
        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
        1-big XS patch
        1-small XS/XJ patch
        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Noticed that the other day when I tore apart all my wiring for my little fuse problem. Figured it out with the volt meter...if you pull your head light apart, it is the blue wire attached to the headlight (if I remember right) that's getting the power...Now that I remember, I drained the new bat the first day I put it in because of the key position...lol
          80' Xs eleven special "The Tank"

Comment

Luckily it was an old battery that was headed for the land of core return anyway, but it was intriguing . Thought maybe it was like the accessary position in a cage.
            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game. (borrowed from strom)
            The idea is to die young............as late as possible.
            1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Working...
            X