turn signal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turn signal question

I was determined to fix the turn signals now that the carbs are dialed in, and my brakes actually stop me. the left signal did not work, and the right only half the time. I cleaned all of the conections at the handlebars and nothing. I took off the sidecover and if you hit the circular blinker thingie with a screwdriver a couple of times it started working. I cleaned all of the connections and it did not work better. then I missed with the screwdriver and hit a fuse. when i went to replace the fuse, a fuse holder broke. I went to the tech tips and did the blade fuse replacement for all of the fuses (something that I kept putting off anyway!!) I got a new automotive style blinker thingie and now nothing from the turn signals. either side.

Can you replace the round cylinder blinker thingie with an automotive one, or is it yamaha specific? can you still buy them? I do not care about the self canceling feature.

Thanks

Travis
    Travis Miller
    1978 E

You can use the ... Uummm.. what's the word...? Electronic blinkie for autos. T'is electronic, and doesn't have the bimetal strip inside like the original blinkies. (You know.. current flows through, heats the strip... strip bends and breaks contact, then cools and makes contact again, and so on) The electronic one has to be used for LEDs, as there's not enough current flowing to heat the strip. Also... your old blinkie can be taken apart, clean the contacts, and adjusted to work again. Worked fine for 5 years after messing mit der insides, till I switched to LEDs.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

wonder why the turn signals don't work at all now? is there a fuse to them?

By the way, i relaced all of the 4 verticle fuses with blade type fuse holders, what is the fuse that is horizontal down to the left of where the other fuses are? I did not replace that one.

Travis
      Travis Miller
      1978 E

Comment

It is a fuse for any accessory that you may add to the bike. Unless you or a PO has wired something into it it does not do anything. Just an extra in case you want to add something.
        Ken/Sooke

Comment

thanks ken, wich one is for the turn signals? as i re-read the above post, do i need an electric blinker? maybe that is why i am not working now. i at least had something before.

Travis
          Travis Miller
          1978 E

Comment

Travis,

Counting from the front most fuse to the rear they go:

IGN

SIGNAL

HEADLAMP

MAIN

When I installed the ATO fuse block it was a five-slot, so I moved the AUXILLIARY to the block. Now my AUX is in the fifth slot. Take a look here:

Randy's XS Page

Click on XS Resto Tips for the fuse box photo.
            Last edited by randy; 05-04-2005, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Damn nice looking modification Randy!
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Travis,

If you got a 3 prong flasher to replace the OEM 3 prong, then that's the problem, it only needs a 2 prong unit, then just try plugging it into the wire plug into 1 pair of slots, if it doesn't work, then try the other pair! Same thing whether it's the thermal ones or the electronic type. Aside from the fuses, recheck ALL of the grounds for the turnsignals, both on the inside where the wire attaches to the socket, and where it grounds to the frame. Those large round grounding washers and the frame can get some bad rust/corrosion, and a poor ground will not allow the current to flow properly!!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks Randy and Topcat. I will try that tommorow, am in the ER right now (at work, not sick).

Randy I get alot of compliments on my restored bike, but it pales in comparison to yours. That is one great looking ride.

Travis
                  Travis Miller
                  1978 E

Comment

Randy, looking at your website again, I really like those bars. Aer those factory? I have some crappy mini-ape hangers. Factory special? Not sure. I keep thinking about changing. Really like the look of yours.
                    Travis Miller
                    1978 E

Comment

Those are factory NOS Yamaha bars. One of the luxuries of doing a seven-month project is you have time to look for parts!

That handlebar came from Bike Bandit $60. They still have 'em available.

Travis, I thought you have a Special?

Comment

nope, 78 E. almost just like your 79
                        Travis Miller
                        1978 E

Comment

Topcat you are the man. Who would have guessed? You take out a 3 prong plug, you put in a new 3 prong plug right? WRONG! That is kinda odd. Stopped and picked up a new electronic 2 prong blinker on the way to work tonight, and put it in out in the ambulance bay of the ER. Works great now. I will actually have turn signals on the way home in the morning!

The bike is now running great. Carbs tuned, brakes working, all brake lights/turn signals now working. What a wonderful machine!

Thanks all for your help.
                          Travis Miller
                          1978 E

Comment

Just in time for prime riding season, Travis!

Originally posted by Parr8hed
                            The bike is now running great. Carbs tuned, brakes working, all brake lights/turn signals now working. What a wonderful machine!
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Congrats Travis. Next you'll be wanting to customise the bike!
                              Don
                              99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

Working...
                              X