ballast resistor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ballast resistor

Just wondering what this ballast resistor thing is. The Yamaha manual says to remove it when removing the tank when getting to the valves. I've had the tank off a bunch of times and never removed this, not even sure where it is.
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Left side, thumb shaped and sized thing, just under and inside the horizontal frame tube, I believe there are two wires leading to it. 81's do not have one, BTW, just 78 through 80.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey there Dean,

Look at this recent thread: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...9445#post49445 where some troubleshooting is being done, with an explanation of the ballast resistor and function! Pays to read all the current threads new posts !
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC. Must have missed that one. However, I still don't get why the manual talks about removing the resistor when taking off the tank to get at the valves.
        By the way, I'm going to see about maybe getting to the July 4 weekend get together. It's only a few hours from here!
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

In the diagrams I've seen the resistor hangs down towards the valve cover, and could impede the removal of the cover, so I figure that's why they recommend removing it!?

That would be great if you can make it to the NY rally!!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yup, have an 1100F. Always had to remove the resistor to get that extra 1/2 inch clearance to slide out the valve cover.
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

That was it. Just needed the extra room.
              80 SG
              81 SH in parts
              99 ST1100
              91 ST1100

Comment

Working...
              X