Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need carb info / carbs are from an XS11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need carb info / carbs are from an XS11?

I was just given a set of carbs off of an XS11? The guy who had them could not tell me, all he knew is that it was an older 4 CYL. Yamaha. On the outside they look almost identical to the carbs on my 79SF which is not here at the moment so I can't compare yet. I have not looked at the main jet size yet, but may not be stock size anyhow. All I can find on the carb bodies is on the two outside carbs is, 2H7 I0 the two inside, 2H7 II all four carbs have the number 913 just below the above mentioned markings. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    JC

Hey there Jchigbee,

I just looked at a set of 79SF carbs, no markings except MIC and Mikuni. However, if yours have 2H7 which is the first 78 XS11 model designation, then I would think you can assume that they are for a 78E at least!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks fot the info TC I really appreciate it!
      Now that I know what bike they came off of I have a couple or so more questions.

Should I or can I use these as spares / will they work fine on my 79 XS11 Special?

If they will work should I go ahead and rebuild them now, or just order the rebuild kits and jets I will need and store both until the time comes I need to use them, or should I just leave the carbs as is and worry about rebuild kits when and if I ever need them?

Any info / opinions anyone can give or pros and cons of any of the above is greatly appreciated!
      JC

Comment

Hey there JC,

They will work just fine, same pilots and mains as your SF. As to whether to fix them now or not depends on your pocketbook. Rubber parts will age. Cleaning the carbs and storing them in plastic sealed bags, not fully assemebled so as to keep pressure off of the float valves, and not fitting the rubber seat seals but just having the parts would be good for a rainy day!

The vacuum diaphragms are the more delicate items. When I rebuilt my carbs, I used a light coat of lithium based lubricant on them. I've seen posted that you should NOT use any petroleum based lubricant on them. I don't know if Armor All has any petroleum in it's mixture, but I don't like the idea of leaving them bone dry! I'm not a carb guru, so I'm sure others will chime in with more expertise advice!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Armor all will dry out anything it is put on including your dash and your Tires I would not recomend you using that.

Comment

Thanks for the info, any suggestions on what I should use, how about armor alls competior that 2000 stuff in the green bottle, or will it also dry stuff out? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
            JC

Comment

Originally posted by jchigbee
              Thanks for the info, any suggestions on what I should use, how about armor alls competior that 2000 stuff in the green bottle, or will it also dry stuff out? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

All that stuff will dry it out. As he said not to use a petrolium base product cause it will eat the rubber. However I am at a loss to figure out what to use.

Like TopCatGr58 said try using lithum grease you can buy it in a tube and smear it on or you can spray it with an airisol can. it can be found for very cheap at an autoparts store like 2 or 3 bucks

Comment

Working...
              X