Dumb XJ questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb XJ questions.

Hi, I've just bought an XJ11 and have a few questions.

1) The light on the dash marked headlamp. Is this to indicate a problem in the headlight system?
    I've never seen this lit.

2) the pushbutton to the left of it. What the heck does it do?
    Pushing it doesn't do anything for me.

One last bonus question-
    Did all XJ11's come with the footbrake that operates the rear and one front caliper? The reason i ask this is the factory schematics show this, yet my bike doen't have the rear master cylinder with the proportioning valve and connections to the front. The front two calipers are run off the hand brake.

Thanks-Tom.
    05 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Hey there Tom,

The headlight indicator will light up when your low beam light burns out. The Reserve lighting system will turn the hi beam on when it happens. That way you're not running without a light.

The button is to turn off or reset the monitoring computer after it gives you a warning light or error message about something on the bike that's amiss.

You are right, the rear and one front caliper was linked on the OEM machine, but your PO must have separated the link, and set them up individually, like all the other XS's. Several folks who got XJ's didn't like the linked brakes and have separated them! IF you really want to link them back together, I'm sure a few folks could offer you the valves and lines, but if you're an experienced rider, the separated ones shouldn't be a problem to use.

I'm not an XJ owner, so this info is to the best of my knowledge, I'm sure some of the actual XJ'er's will chime in with any corrections if I've mistated anything!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey TopCat!
      Thanks for the reply.

On the "button" are you refering to- Are you talking about the "warning control" button? I'm at work so I don't have the bike in front of me to picture it all. I was meaning the unmarked button to the left of the "headlamp" light.

I had to laugh a bit to myself about your "if you're an experienced rider" comment. Up until a week ago I hadn't rode a motorcycle in about 20 years! I'm getting into riding on a bike thats more than likely too big for "beginers", but i just love the way it sits! Plus I bought it non-running figuring the repair and maintenance before riding would be good for me. Well it runs now, and to me it rides like a dream!

I did go out and buy the correct mastercylinder with proportioning valve and a rebuild kit. I don't have the rest of the parts needed yet to put it back to stock. I think a change of plans is in order now though. After riding it around all week, it has me thinking I'll just leave it the way it is and either save the parts or get them to someone that needs them.
      Thanks-Tom.
      05 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Comment

lets see if this posts. it's the farthest button on the left.
        Last edited by T748; 04-30-2005, 05:05 PM.
        05 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Comment

extream left

the very farthest is trip meter reset button. The next button going to the right is to turn off the blinking light (push it twice ) the button on the right is to run a diagnostics on the dash,pushing that watch the dash it will go down all the things on it batt,brakes ,stand, etc. etc. hope this makes some kind of cents.
          1982 XJ 1100
          going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
          now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

LOL!!! I would have never thought about it being the trip meter reset! Thanks, it was driving me crazy. -Tom.
            05 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Comment

Hey - you're not the only one... Have had several people see that button on mine and think it's for turning on the headlights... Oh yeah, so did I until I got it running.

Tom B.

Comment

Something to be careful of is the size of the bore of the master cylinders. By having the linked system, the rear M/C has a much larger bore than an XS and the front M/C has a smaller bore than the XS because it only had to actuate one caliper. The front M/C may not have enough displacement to actuate both front calipers, and the rear, inversely, will displace too much fluid and the brake may lock up prematurely.

Comment

XJ1100 proportioning valve ...

T748:
                  "I did go out and buy the correct mastercylinder with proportioning valve and a rebuild kit."

Hi T748,
                  Did you say that there was a kit for the proportioning valve, or am I mistaken?
                  If there is, could you pass on the source?

Thanks Tom,
                  RLMcD
                  XJ1100J Maxim (Arlington)
                  Ruby Red
                  XS1100E (no name yet)
                  Macho Maroon

Comment

John's right. Your XJ's master cylinder is probably to small to operate to calipers. I would install a XS1100 master cylinder and connect your wires together for the sensor. I have Russell Steal Braided on mine and it's 1 finger braking.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

rickmcdougald- I didn't find a rebuild kit for the proportioning valve,just the master cylinder kit.

Winterhawk & John- I've recently changed the front brake master cylinder to the "double front" brake style. It seems to "brake" about the same, just less handle travel to do the same amount of work. This winter's plan is to replace the old brake lines with stainless steel. I believe this will get the fronts as good as it can be. Then I'll see what can be done to balance out the system as a whole. The back brakes have too much power now. Maybe a Mopar performance or Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve. I do have an XJ rear master cylinder with the stock proportioning valve (not on the bike now). I might try that but don't know how that would work with the port that goes to the front brake blocked off.
                      -Tom.
                      05 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Comment

Do you mean that you installed a 17mm XS1100 master cylinder with no different results?
                        "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Winterhawk- I installed a 16mm mastercylinder from parts n more. www.partsnmore.com

Dual Disc Master Cylinder Assembly. Yamaha Style - Alloy body Master Cylinder Assembly with Lever, Banjo Bolt, Banjo Bolt Washers and Brake Switch. High Quality , Low Profile Design featuring 16mm cylinder with 10 x 1.25 threaded outlet. Fits 7/8 inch Handlebars, Accepts Yamaha Style Left Handed Thread Mirrors. $76.00US

What I got out of this was shorter brake lever travel to do the same amount of stopping. About half as much lever travel to do the same amount of work. What I didn't get was a "bigger brake" feeling. I should note here that the brake hoses are very old. Old hoses swell inward reducing braking. So until the hoses get replaced, I wont know how good the 'ol XJ can stop.-Tom
                          05 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Comment

Working...
                          X