Clutch Slipping Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Slipping Test

I read somewhere yesterday(can't find it now) about a method of testing for clutch slipping. It involve putting the bike in 2nd gear (I think) and then I can't remember what else. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks, Ron
    Let's Roll
    1978 Yamaha XS750 SE

Hey Ron,

It's not 2nd gear, but you need to be rolling on the highway or a road where you can do around 50mph or so, have it up in 5th gear and then do a strong throttle increase. If you notice that the rpm's rise a bit but your speed doesn't , then you're experiencing slippage. In the lower gears, there's not as much stress on the clutch compared to the higher gears. If the clutch is not holding well, then the engine will overpower the clutch's grip in the higher gear and will demonstrate it with increasing rpms but no increase in speed!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I haven't noticed it in the high gears, but on my first real ride I was anxious to check out the socket jerking acceleration I keep hearing about and while ripping it from a roll it sounded like it did it in second, what does that mean?
      JC
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

similar problem in 2nd

I had posted a while back about a similar experience when I'd gun it second... Seemed like it slipped a bit then caught up to the revs. People told me it might be the dreaded 2nd gear problem but they described it as popping out of gear and then back in. Mine was more like the revs went up but it didn't feel like the power was transferring to the wheel. Then the power crept back in as the revs dropped slightly. Sure seems like a clutch slip to me.

Is yours popping out or doing what mine is? I'm curious where this goes as I obviously havent' really fixed mine.

Tom B.

Comment

Hey Tom,

Well, what you have described in 2nd, the rpms revving, but the speedo NOT sure does sound like a slipping clutch. I've experienced a similar sensation when Speed shifting into 2nd, probably glazing my plates and heating them up too much, and so it took a short while for the plates to grab after slipping the clutch! But if you are already in 2nd gear with the clutch fully engaged, and then it revs/slips when hitting the gas, then it probably is the clutch plates and not the 2nd gear. The 2nd gear malady is a jerky popping sensation, not just a smooth revving transition and loss of power/speed!! If you've already done your clutch adjustment at the engine, and it's still occuring, and you're not using Synth oil, then the plates may have worn too far!? But I would think you would ALSO experience the symptom in high gear as I described above!?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for the repies guys. I appreciate it.

Ron
            Let's Roll
            1978 Yamaha XS750 SE

Comment

I have only been able to get it to do it with the clutch fully engaged while romping through second. I just got the thing on the road though so maybe I don't have the lower rpm power you guy who have yours dialed in have. Then again I haven't made the adjustment at the clutch yet.
              JC
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
              X