timing cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing cover

Might be checking cam chain and valves for the first time tomorrow, relying on past threads and my Yamaha manual for help. Bike is running well but I don't think these have been checked for quite some time. Am I correct that timing cover(another name for stator cover?) and valve cover both are removed without draining oil? which I did last week. Thanks!
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Yes, Dean that's correct. But, you will want to install a new Valve Cover gasket, or you'll have a leak. The Cam Chain Tensioner also has a gasket, but that can be successfully re-sealed with a high quality Gasket Maker in a tube. Gasket Maker won't work on the Valve Cover, BTDT

Comment

Thanks Randy. Forgot to ask if most people put anything on the gaskets when installing or just use them as is.
      I don't need to remove the cam chain tensioner to adjust it, correct?
      80 SG
      81 SH in parts
      99 ST1100
      91 ST1100

Comment

No, you don't need to remove the cam chain tensioner to adjust it.

As a matter of personal preference, some guys remove the cams to do their valve adjustments (me) and when you re-time the cams you have to have the tensioner out.

I find removing the cams easier than jockeying the "Motion Pro" tool. I have found that tool too short to impart enough 'motion' on the valve bucket and it's anything but 'pro'-fessionally designed. There's my rant about Motion Pro.

Comment

Laxdad;
          If you are using the "Yamaha" style tool, you don't need to pull the cams. You probably will only have to replace one or two shims at most. When I did my present Eleven, I had three valves out of spec. Just be sure to measure the gap without forcing the gauge. If you try to force a larger gauge, it will go by compressing the valve spring slightly. This will give you a wrong reading.
          I did smear a very thin coating of silicon gasket seal on the valve cover gaskit. I did this at the start of the procedure, so it was cured most of the way when I installed it. That will help the next time you remove the valve cover, as the gaskit should not stick to the aluminum.
          Once done, I would then do the cam chain adjustment, per the book.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Laxdad,

I just did mine. With help from others I was able to get the other 3 shims I needed. I had 4 out of spec and was able to reuse one to that I had to fix another.

I used the motion pro tool. I agree with Randy because it is a pain that you have to "adjust" some measurements on the tool. You need to elongate the hole that the screws go in a little as well as shave down the thickness.

This page helped me quite a bit when it came to figuiring out what to do.
            valve adjust

It takes about 5 minutes per cylinder to remove the adjusting pad, once you figuire out how to do it. It also helps to have a buddy with you when you do one of the sides so someone else can turn the engine when you are on the opposite side.
            Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Working...
            X