Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First legaly Xs1100 running on LPG on this planet!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First legaly Xs1100 running on LPG on this planet!!

I'm the proud owner of the first(correct my if i'm wrong) Xs1100 running on Liquid Gas (LPG) in Holland,it is a legaly new LPGsystem and i got new registrationpapers for the bike with sidecar since 06-04-2005 23:45

I have put knowhow information on a dutch motorbike forum>>

http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/topic.php/77536/5

The photo's speaks for itself you don't nead a translation i hope

To see all pictures watch the other 5 page's too!

It is also alowed to put a LPG system on a solo motorbike,i'll will make that version too,wait and see!
    xs1100 black 78 2h9 on the road
    xs1100 red 79 special with sidecar running on LPG and gas!
    xs1100 silber 79 2h9 o t r
    xs1100 white 80 2h9 Martini o t r
    xs1100 red 78 2h9 Martini o t r
    xs1100 black 80 special o t r
    xs1100 black 80 2h9 in parts sleeping
    xs1100 black 81sport for sale!sleeping
    xs1100 silber 81 2h9 i.p. sleeping
    xs1100black81midnspeciali.p.sleeping
    cbx1000 grey prolink 81 sleeping
    cbx1000prolink 83 in parts sleeping
    gsx750ex red 81 in parts sleeping

This is why I love this site...... , we can make them better, faster, stronger...hell we can make them run off LPG. I would turn the luggage rack into a BBQ grill and then it would be complete!!

Nice work!
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Originally posted by sixtysix
      This is why I love this site...... , we can make them better, faster, stronger...hell we can make them run off LPG. I would turn the luggage rack into a BBQ grill and then it would be complete!!

Nice work!
      Thanks, that is a nice sugestion sixtysix,and i'll love roasted meat

I'll go to my first XS1100club meeting in Belgium 16-19juni in Genk ,i'll only have to drill a awful lot of holes in the luggage rack and let the gas find it's way thru them

Comment

The other think you forgot to tell 66 is that propane (LPG) is about 120 octane!! you can really boost the compression ratio and still not have a problem.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ya gotta love it!. How many of us would LOVE to take a hacksaw to our carbs?

Comment

PIET,

Congrats. I'm a huge fan. I've been in the LPG biz for about 20 years. Run it in every truck we have in the fleet.

Where'd ya put the LP tank? I didn't see it in the pics and can't read Dutch. Interesting conversion though. Looks like a "dispersion ring" setup on the intake feeding the carbs. Does it performa as well as gasoline or are you seeing the typical drop in performance?

Cody

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay
              The other think you forgot to tell 66 is that propane (LPG) is about 120 octane!! you can really boost the compression ratio and still not have a problem.
              Propane (spec propane) is 97.1 to be exact (using the ASTM motor method).

LPG (liquified petroleum gas) is a generic term that many people use to refer to "propane" proper. However it has historically (in the industry) been utilized to define any LP mix....and can be comprised of a variety of petroleum gases including propane, butanes (normal and iso), as well as nonanes, octane, decanes and natural gasolines and just about any combination thereof.

Comment

Originally posted by MAXIMAN
                PIET,

Congrats. I'm a huge fan. I've been in the LPG biz for about 20 years. Run it in every truck we have in the fleet.

Where'd ya put the LP tank? I didn't see it in the pics and can't read Dutch. Interesting conversion though. Looks like a "dispersion ring" setup on the intake feeding the carbs. Does it performa as well as gasoline or are you seeing the typical drop in performance?

Cody
                Hello MAXIMAN,

I placed the LPG Tank in the back of my sidecar ,the Lpg is vaporite with a oldtymer installation with only a little electronic only for safety that shuts off the flow of gas when the engine does not turn.

The costs to buy/make this new installation on my Xs1100 =1100euro
                But a illegal version(there are three Xs1100 owners i think in Holland) are very cheap to make,with secondhand parts,450euro will do to create a working Lp bike.
                There is a difference in performance now running on gas,because the selfmade intake made from steel with two hacksawd carbs valves white open(closed all horsepowers are dead/gone)the max. refs are 7000rpm ,running on lpg it rus much better almost at fast as an orriginal Xs1100.(only between 2500 and 3000 rpm it seems the mixture needs better adjustment.
                Till now i have drive only 130km on lpg ,next thing to do is give the engine new oil and adjust the valve shims ,and waiting for the real summer to arrive here,i don't like rain on the road

Comment

Boy, I wish I could read that. Wait a minute, I can read that. Just wish I new what it said.
                  Conversion looks great. But It would get interesting fitting a LPG tank on a naked bike with enough fuel to run a couple of hours. I'm sure it can be done.
                  S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                  1-big XS patch
                  1-small XS/XJ patch
                  1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                  1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                  2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                  1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                  1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

There is a difference in performance now running on gas,because the selfmade intake made from steel with two hacksawd carbs valves white open(closed all horsepowers are dead/gone)the max. refs are 7000rpm ,running on lpg it rus much better almost at fast as an orriginal Xs1100.(only between 2500 and 3000 rpm it seems the mixture needs better adjustment.
                    Till now i have drive only 130km on lpg ,next thing to do is give the engine new oil and adjust the valve shims ,and waiting for the real summer to arrive here,i don't like rain on the road [/B]
                    It seems (if I'm reading the post correctly) that you have retained a "dual fuel" setup...being able to switch between gasoline and LP?

Czekus21

Yeah think about it. Typically you loose about 20-25% fuel economy on LPG vs gasoline. Where would you mount a 5 gallon LPG bottle on a bike......unless of course you pulled a trailer

Comment

Maximan;
                      Thanks for clearing up the specs for me. I was going on what I had read about 20 years ago, and I think it was under the "old" rating method. I had been looking into a propane powered, turbocharged RX7 engine for a "home made" car.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

quote>It seems (if I'm reading the post correctly) that you have retained a "dual fuel" setup...being able to switch between gasoline and LP?

Czekus21
                        <quote

Yes thats the story,i can switch between both!
                        Starting up on LPG with a weak battery is not easy/risky,using gas at that moments is better.
                        Luckely i did not had to change the fuel valve that works on vacuum because it can set off by hand
                        Switching to LPG when the bowls are all 4 100% empty is hard to do ,so 5 minutes after switching to LPG the engine finally runs on a pure LPG mixture and doing well

Comment

Unbelievable...it staggers the mind to think you are actually running a motorcycle on LP.

I had a system installed on my 2001 Dodge Ram. It cost about $3500 and I supplied the tank! The new systems on the big 6 liter Chevies cost aroun $6K!!! Thank you EPA.

Comment

Originally posted by Czekus21
                            Boy, I wish I could read that. Wait a minute, I can read that. Just wish I new what it said.
                            Conversion looks great. But It would get interesting fitting a LPG tank on a naked bike with enough fuel to run a couple of hours. I'm sure it can be done.
                            Dammrigth it can be done,it already exist !see the last page on the Forum there you find a Honda CX500 with a big LPGas Tank on the back mounted on the frame
                            Enough for 3 hours driving on the road!

Comment