Shock Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock Switch

Can I replace my rear shocks on my 78E with a set of off am 81 Special? Are they all the same size? Any help would be great!
    1978 Yamaha XS1100 Standard

Shocks on all the XS/XJ models are interchangeable. However, the left side (drive shaft side) lower mount is just a bit different, so you need to keep left to left and vice versa unless you want to swap the ends in the shocks, which is easy to do.

Stock shock length is 12.5 inches. Some people lower their bikes by going to a shorter shock, some 'soften' the ride by going to a longer (13 - 13.25) shock, which enables you to use a softer proload. This soaks up small bumps better.

You shouldn't have any problems swapping shocks from another XS or XJ.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

i'd be interested in finding out which shorter shocks fit the XS. i'd like to drop my seat height a smidge.
      - dan
      - thinker57@lycos.com
      - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

seat height

When I got my 81HSpecial, in '94; PO , before my PO, had installed , air-adjustable shocks on the rear. They worked fine on
        the Beast, until October2000. One leaked the oil out; the other one wasn't stout enuf by itself, to keep the swingarm from bottoming out on a rough bump. So, I spent a day swapping
        them out; took the shocks off the 79FStandard , and put them in place of the now-removed air adjustables, onto the Special.

Once I got going, I discovered, I wuz a bit higher . Rode fine, still does. Have shocks on lowest setting. Still some higher.
        I'm guessing, the air shocks (with no air in the shocks) let it run about an inch lower, @ the bolted on shock ends.

I don't like the saddle being higher. If I had the fund$, I'd put
        another set of after-market air-adjustables back on it. Drop it back down.
        These XS's are already top-heavy; don't need to find ways to make 'em more top heavy.

BTW, that was useful information, good reading, that you posted on the standard forks on a special thread.
        JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
        7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

On this general topic -
          Any advice for aftermarket shocks?
          Anybody had luck grafting some OTHER (Kaw, Honda) shock to their XS?
          Is there any good way to evaluate used shocks other than a visual for leaks and rod scoring?

Thanks, as the adjustable damping qualities of my 80 XS special shocks all equate to ZERO (bike sat 15+ years), and I need to take care of this!
          Rocky
          00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
          80 XS11 Special -sold
          77 HD Sportster
          75 Norton Commando

Comment

I am running progressive rear spring & shocks. I chose the soft spring and later discovered I should have gone with the heavier. I ride with the springs set to their max pre-load and I travel very light.

The installation of new shock made a world of difference in ride and handling. I made the change at 35K miles on the bike. With no over 75K, the ride remains great.

I have heard the VMax shock work on the XS and are a bit shorter, but have no first hand experience with them.
            DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

Denny, that is weird - I'm running progressive shocks with the heavy spring, and I'm beefy and carry stuff and have it at minimum preload and it still rides rough until I put about 100 lbs of junk on back

Maybe there's a spring that's inbetween that would be right for both of us??
              Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Mike wrote:
                Denny, that is weird - I'm running progressive shocks with the heavy spring, and I'm beefy and carry stuff and have it at minimum preload and it still rides rough until I put about 100 lbs of junk on back
                The stock XS spring is between the two progressive springs.

I keep meaning to clean up a stock pair of springs, powder coat them black and give them a try.

I don't think I still have the stock springs! I know, I'll sneak them off the Special, Glenna wouldn't miss them!
                DZ
                Vyger, 'F'
                "The Special", 'SF'
                '08 FJR1300

Comment

I have V-Max shocks on my 1980g full dresser,they work great and are fully adjustable(they are not shorter,but one inch longer,13").....Will

Comment

OK shocks for cheap

About a year ago I replaced 20 yr old Boge/Muhulland shocks with 13" JC Whipmes. Put on a TKAT brace at the same time, and between the two, the 78E handles much better and doesn't bottom out anymore. I would have put on progressives but got a case of sticker shock. These whipmes have about 3K miles and seem to be holding up ok.
                    Bob

Comment

For general information, go the the XS11.com home page, click on Articles, and find the 1982 Rider aricle by Joe Minturn (?), Making Your XS Handle.

A more recent summary can be found at:

http://facstaff.uww.edu/fieldsj/mcyc...uspension.html

"Sorting out the XS/XJ suspension."

Air shocks were standard on the XJ and on some '81 models, I believe. XJ also had stock air-adjustable front forks.

One guy swapped in shocks from a Honda Ace. I have a set of 13.25 inch HD shocks comming in from an eBay auction; plan to put them on the XJ if possible and will post a note on how it went and results. Price with shipping was less than $30.00, and HD shocks come up fairly often on eBay.

"Progrsssive" suspension, in addition to being a brand name, means the springs, forks or shocks, are wound so that the springs take less force to compress the first inch or so, them take more force to compress farther. This gives, generally, a better quality ride.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                      X