New member, Old XSer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, Old XSer

Glad to find this group that loves the XS 1100 like I do. I ordered my Midnight Special brand new back in 1980. Ahh the feeling when I rode that new beauty home for the first time. In 1987 I parked my bike for the winter as usual. With the new duties of a family and a house, I think you know the rest. I am now ready to get my bike back on the road. It is amazing the toll 18 years can take on a bike just sitting there (with gas in the tank).
    First question is has anyone tried an ultrasonic cleaner to try and clean their carbs. I haven't pulled them yet but I can only imagine the shape they are in. I was thinging maybe some simple green and hot water in the ultrasonic cleaner might loosen things up without damage to the rubber parts. Any thoughts?
    Original owner of 1980
    Midnight Special

Mikeb

Welcome

I was talking to Bob Jones a few weeks ago and he said they recently aquired an ultrasonic cleaner. He said it was one of the best investments he ever made.

He indicated it used some sort of hot soapy solution and it had no effect on the rubber or diaphrams. He also added the thing absolutely cleaned every circuit...every passage and port. Simply drop the carbs in the vat and let it do it's thing. He also said that if the float levels and sync was ok (as long as you don't take 'em off the rail) that they'll bolt right back on and work great. Said it saves hours of rebuilding labor.

Just what I hear. Let us know if you do it. I'd like to know if it really works well.

Cody

Comment

cool

never thought of that one,but we do have an ultrasonic cleaner at work.i'll give it a go,report back at a later date.
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

i have used an ultrasonic cleaner for my carbs... used regular carb dip still in the can and filled the excess space with water... worked pretty good.
        Shawn
        78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
        78 XS1100E Parts
        www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Hey, this is intriguing. I noticed an ultrasonic machine at my dentist's the other day. Do you suppose they would let me throw my carbs in there. Lord knows I've probably paid for that machine a few times over by now.

Seriously, ultrasonic would be great if you had access to one.
          They Call Me the Breeze

'79 SF

Comment

Here's a link to buy one like Sirrius uses.

http://www.searssupply.com/browse.cfm/4,3570.html

Not bad for $400

Comment

drats

i was shut down quickly on using the works cleaner.Something about life critical components being cleaned...life smith, i need my carbs cleaned
              1982 XJ 1100
              going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
              now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Did you explain to them that the carbs are critical to the life of your XS!
                Original owner of 1980
                Midnight Special

Comment

Working...
                X