slide diaphragm for carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slide diaphragm for carbs

Does anyone have some diaphragms in good condition that I could get a hold of? The dealer is charging $100 each and I need all four plus needles if possible. I have a 80' Midnight Special.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35597

Will these work? They are on E-Bay and ending in a few hours.
    Don
    99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

Be careful. There are listed for a 78/79.

Originally posted by don07tncav
      [url]
      Will these work? They are on E-Bay and ending in a few hours.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

repair existing ones

You may be able to repair existing ones with Plasti-dip brush on or spray on rubber. Worked on mine.

Tom B.

Comment

I emailed the person selling the ones on ebay and he said that they are smaller in diameter than mine. I am not sure if that is true and cannot measure as the bike is at the dealer and am trying to decide if the $900 they want to replace the needles, float diaphragms and an oil change is worth it.

Comment

The diaphragms I was told were full of holes and one was not even functional at all. I thought it was pretty quick last year but I do get those fixed, it should be a lot faster I would think.

Comment

holes in diaphragms

If you were just "told" they were full of holes by a bike shop or something, it might be worth your while to check them out yourself. Even go into the bike shop and have them show you. If they're just a few small pinholes this is easily and inexpensively repaired with plasti-dip.

If you inspect them yourself, shine a small flashlight right up against one side and look at the other side. Any light going through and you have a hole. Patch as necessary.

I'd try this before spending the big bucks on new ones. It's Cheap! The worst that can happen is that it doesn't work and you spent an extra $5 to find out.

Tom B.

Comment

No, it is not worth it...unless you are already into labor fees of 700.00 or so!

Originally posted by bryzx2
                am trying to decide if the $900 they want to replace the needles, float diaphragms and an oil change is worth it.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

900 bucks! Faaark. Break it down - 1. remove carb bank - 20 minutes(can be done in 10)
                  2. fiddling with carbs to replace needles - say 1 hour(what's wrong with the needles anyway? Probably totally unneccessary)
                  3. 4 new $100 diaphragms - jeeez! The diaphragms aren't that shagged surely? A quick patch up does the trick no sweat.
                  4. reinstall carbs, sidecovers, tank, hoses etc... - say 1/2 hour.

Total - say around 3 hours @$70. $210 max.
                  Cost to do it yourself - price of a tube of silicon and some grimy fingers!

Comment

But if they are fragged, and you want new ones, go to Partsnmore and get them for about $64.00 each, will fit the 80-81 series, free shipping with even just 1, save you about $150.00!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks, I will order four of those diaphragms and save $200 on the repairs. I guess that they are $115 from the dealer.

Comment

Working...
                      X