Finishing others project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing others project.

Well...I bought a bike from a guy who said "It may need a little tuning" An understatement. I've been fooling around with a little this then that. Finally decided to start at the beginning. Compression was not too good. He said the motor was rebuilt and bored a little. I pulled the valve covers and I guess the tuning starts with the valves here. Went to local dealer and traded 3 shims. Now compression is consistent. 180 LBS in fact...too much? Seems spec. is 142 or so. carbs are causing me headaches, but time will help. #2 keeps popping gas out the carb, and the bikes backfires pretty good. With 4-1 exhaust it is hard to tell who is doing it, but I can guess Checked the levels with clear hose...seems consistent. Anyway time to get back at it.
    "If it weren't for a budget I'd be bored."

Thom
    79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
    80 xs11sg
    81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Hey there Glarus,

Those compressions are just like what I got after I did my Big Bore, 180 avg! Resultant ratio "seems" to be around 12.25:1, but it's not that simple using simple math!? The Wiseco site quotes a 10.25:1 with their kits. And I don't know the real formulas to calculate it, but I know I use Premium!!

Good luck hunting down the cause of the flooding, from stuck needle valves, to leaky floats, etc!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

A big bore kit sounds like what he may have done. What size jetting are you using? It looks like a 140.5 or 142.5 I don.t remember. Am going to spend more time today with the floats and levels. A little progress is still progress. It is Cold this weekend anyway, so I may as well spend it tuning for a warmer day.
      "If it weren't for a budget I'd be bored."

Thom
      79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
      80 xs11sg
      81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Comment

Working...
      X