Will these shock work on my XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will these shock work on my XS1100

I got these shock for an '82 xj650 turbo seca and wanted to know if they will fit on my XS1100.
    ThanXS,
    JC
    [url=http://www.bctonline.com/users/cyclesavont/04-10-04-05.JPG][img]
    Last edited by 81xsproject; 04-22-2005, 11:17 AM.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Sorry ran out of edit time.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

If I remember, the bolts are the same. Just check the length from eye to eye. should be about 12". You will probably need to run a little more air than in the 650, as the 11 has a little more mass.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Overall length for the XS11 shock is 12.5 inches. If they are that length, then they should work. She shock with the smaller diameter lower bushing will only fit on the right side. Your only issue might be the air hose.

Comment

They are the right length I beleive. I previously asked the group about whether the xj1100 shocks would fit and I was informed that I would either have to lose the helmet lock or reverse the bottom bushings and switch shock to opposite sides of the bike.

The latter will be my choice, as I would prefer to not lose my helmet lock.

How will this affect the ride quality?
          JC
          '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Removing and salvaging the lower bushings can be tough, but it can be done. I had to do that with the new shocks that I just installed on the SWiMBOXS. I have XJ shocks on my 80SG. I had to remove the helmet lock to install the hoses, but was able to reinstall the lock. It will not latch though. If you did swap the bushings around, then I think that will do the trick.

Comment

Its not just the length of the shocks; you have to consider the spring rate.

Spring rate is the force it takes to compress the springs. The stock XS/XJ springs are dual-rate, meaning it takes about 90 pounds to compress the springs each inch for the first couple inches, and 120 pounds to compress the springs per inch for the last couple inches. Shocks control the action of the springs.

Progressive and others usually offer a couple of differnt spring rates, regular and heavy-duty. Your 650 shocks may be OK in length (12.5 inches eye-to-eye is stock on the XS/XJ) but I doubt if the spring rates are close. The XS/XJ springs were chosen for a much heavier bike with quite a bit more HP at the rear wheel. I suspect the 650 set may not give you the ride or handling you are looking for.

Incidently, air serves to set the initial preload of the shock. Changing air pressure does not change the spring rate, it only sets the initial force required to start compressing the shock/spring.
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

ThanXS Jerry, good info.
                '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Air shocks

scored a set of air shocks on a xs850 I bought for a project bike. put them on my 81 xs1100rh, bit longer than stock, work well with 80 psi for solo riding, 95 for two up. I weigh about 18 1/2 stone.

Comment

Working...
                  X