small windshields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small windshields

Might like to try a small handlebar mount windshield on my SG. I saw a Memphis Shades 'Shooter" model that looked good holding it up to the bike. It's only 14 inches tall and never having had a windshield I'm wondering if the air will still get up and over my helmet ok or would it maybe wind up being directed right into it. Anybody have any experience? thanks
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

I have a XS750 Special. It had a Windjammer on it when I got it. I did not really care for that fairing. I replaced it with this one. http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalog...orScreens.html
    I love this smaller windshield. It still let a little air hit my helmet, but block pretty much all air hitting me in the chest. It is easily removable. It does not really detract from the looks of the bike either. I really like it! I picked it up on eBay for $50. I will try to post a picture here.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Ron
    Let's Roll
    1978 Yamaha XS750 SE

Comment

jc whit

that looks very simillar to the one i had frm jcwhitless. They get 49.99 also. i liked it till i broke it off hard to beat pickin bugs outya teeth aaahhh crap ola hit the rong button this is supposed to be the windshield thread.
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

I have a National Cycle Plexistar 2 on my 79F and it does a good job of deflecting the air over my helmet. I have it mounted so I normally look through it, but if I sit up straight, I can see over it (handy on those cold mornings when it fogs up). It's about 20 inches tall, so quite a bit higher than the one you are looking at. It extends out past my hands - a nice feature since it's still in the the 30's in the AM here in WI. It should come off pretty easy, but I always leave it on - it provides enough airflow in the summer to keep me cool. They have different models for round and square headlights.
        Frank

1979 XS1100F Street Rat

Comment

hi ront, your windshield looks like the other one I was looking at! and it is about 1 1/2 in. taller and 4 in. narrower than the memphis shades model I had in mind. I wonder if that couple inches makes for a big wind difference on ones head?
          Very nice looking bike. Looks like you have the same seat as I do too. I'd love to have a rack like that above the taillight. Mine has the sissy bar and the stock grab rail. Would a rack like that replace the grab rail?
          80 SG
          81 SH in parts
          99 ST1100
          91 ST1100

Comment

I honestly don't know for sure on the grab rail guestion, but I am guessing that there would not be room for it. I don't know how much of a difference that 1 1/2 in difference will make. I do sometimes get some buffeting on my head, but not bad at all. WAY better than no windshield at all. Unlike the Windjammer that stopped all air. That thing was hot! It is for sale .

Ron
            Let's Roll
            1978 Yamaha XS750 SE

Comment

I like the looks of the bike and love the yard. It looks like astroturf under it. I have worked on mine for a while and it still looks ragged next to that. Nice work
              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
              1981 LH

Comment

I have one called a Spitfire that works well. I look right over it but no head bobble. I've had taller shields that made more turbulence.
                David Browne
                XS11SG Crunchbird
                XS500E

Comment

Working...
                X