No announcement yet.

How fast does she go...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've got one of those digital speedometers, and at 60 mph it's dead on. At that speed it usually is reading about 2 mph slower then the factory speedo.

anyway, with about a 5-10 mph tailwind my best run is a top speed of 126 and that was pretty much all she had left. if that IS off, it can't be by more than +/- 1 mph. I'm not sure what the factory speedo was reading at that speed.

this bike is completely stock.

I'm anxious to try out recently acquired XS#2. According to PO, it's got the dynojet kit in it. I'm not sure if this is true - as I had it apart for re-jetting when i put on 4-1's & K&N air filter.... jets looked stock to me. Guess I don't know exactly what the dynojet kit includes though--- regardless- now i'm up 2 sizes on the mains and one on the pilots. this thing screams.... I just need to get some good tires first

Comment

Slipperyness is the No1 influence on top speed and any tailwind makes a HUGE difference ditto for a headwind. There is so many variables in the equation Anyone should be happy with 200kph on an XS. Some dude in a new looking Evo 6 (150+mph) tried giving me a bit of a drag on the roads the other day. The 27 year old dunger XS whipped the Evo on acceleration - the roads weren't quite long enough for the Evo to get fully wound out. In other words he couldn't catch the bike!

Comment

Any more 'with' any more...

Hi All - Anyone else got any input??? - the variations on setups/rpm is real useful.
        Cheers and E/:?)njoy

Comment

hey lawrence, cool question

like the last guy said there are a lot of variables, alot of these people have some pretty nice top end numbers to boast.
          i have gotten my 79 special to do 135 @ red line with in a mile
          and my best 1/4 mile time was 12.70 @ 105 mph
          mods to the bike yardine 4 into 2 exhaust
          4 k&n oval air filters
          main jets changed to 137.5
          and the needles moved up one notch with the floats set to the book number
          i live in fla and the numbers dont seem to be as big here as they do else where
          i did get one of my other specials to go 150 but it had alot more work done to it and it was real hard to hang on to, impressed the hell out of that guy on the big sport bike i was riding with though. it was the first time he had ever seen such a turd go that fast!

Comment

My 79sf used to do 120 mph on the flat with no wind. In Wyoming, there are PLENTY of long, straight roads with no other people on them. I recently installed Harley fat-boy pipes and interestingly enough...seem to have lost about 5 mph off the top end. I'll take it though because I think she made up for it in the bottom end as it will now wheelie much easier than it used to. Just lean back, give her some juice, pop the clutch, nail it, and voila...front end is airborne. Not that this is anyway for a 40 year old slightly over-weight guy to be acting, mind you, but it is an effective and fun way to demonstrate the real value of a big-fat cruiser as you slide into a roll-on with one .

Anyway, the bike has no fork brace (waiting for TKATS next run), and there is a touch of squirrellyness around 100 which I attribute to the little after-market windshield. Stock air filter, stock carbs. Stock adreneline injection on rider
            They Call Me the Breeze

'79 SF

Comment

Had Zilla up to 107 mph(according to my Cateye) and it was still climbing though slowly. Not bad for a full dressed, detuned (Maxim) Eleven.

Comment

Just put new tires, Dunlop 404, on the LG yesterday. I rode it around town a bit to 'scrub-off' some of the tire. Headed out of town and finally opened it up a bit. Kept it to 100 MPH (straight-line) and it felt solid and wanting more.
                Today (day-off) I may head to Del Puerto Canyon for some twisties with restraint (scrub-off the sides of the tread).
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

it is possible to increasy the engine horsepowers and go faster than the others ,on a german xs Site they recomment to use XJR1300 carbs (fit's the same!)modified with some nessesary Xs1100carbs parts,it boost the power to i believe 108 Horses!
                  xs1100 black 78 2h9 on the road
                  xs1100 red 79 special with sidecar running on LPG and gas!
                  xs1100 silber 79 2h9 o t r
                  xs1100 white 80 2h9 Martini o t r
                  xs1100 red 78 2h9 Martini o t r
                  xs1100 black 80 special o t r
                  xs1100 black 80 2h9 in parts sleeping
                  xs1100 black 81sport for sale!sleeping
                  xs1100 silber 81 2h9 i.p. sleeping
                  xs1100black81midnspeciali.p.sleeping
                  cbx1000 grey prolink 81 sleeping
                  cbx1000prolink 83 in parts sleeping
                  gsx750ex red 81 in parts sleeping

Comment

hey piet, there is no way that you can be married! Or you just have a VERY cool wife! My wife is mad at me wanting to own 2 bikes much less the 50 or so that you seem to have. That is an impressive stable that you have there.

Travis
                    Travis Miller
                    1978 E

Comment

Incereasing horsepower and/or torque isn't really a problem. What I wonder is increasing redline. I've already found my bike has the power to eXSeed redline in 5th gear. The limiting factor is valve float, engine vibration/harmonics, and lack of gearing options that puts a cap on our quest for terminal velocity.
                      For me 140 MPH is more than plenty. Riding in the real world for me is getting to 100 MPH and back to 0 MPH quickly.
                      Pat Kelly
                      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by Parr8hed
                        hey piet, there is no way that you can be married! Or you just have a VERY cool wife! My wife is mad at me wanting to own 2 bikes much less the 50 or so that you seem to have. That is an impressive stable that you have there.

Travis
                        It's not a hell living with nine XS1100
                        and i just spoke a xs owner on the phone about his silver 1979 2h9 bike he want's to sell for 800euro

I'll gues i'm making a heaven on earth for myself,and i put myself on the map with this bigsmile Xs collection!
                        xs1100 black 78 2h9 on the road
                        xs1100 red 79 special with sidecar running on LPG and gas!
                        xs1100 silber 79 2h9 o t r
                        xs1100 white 80 2h9 Martini o t r
                        xs1100 red 78 2h9 Martini o t r
                        xs1100 black 80 special o t r
                        xs1100 black 80 2h9 in parts sleeping
                        xs1100 black 81sport for sale!sleeping
                        xs1100 silber 81 2h9 i.p. sleeping
                        xs1100black81midnspeciali.p.sleeping
                        cbx1000 grey prolink 81 sleeping
                        cbx1000prolink 83 in parts sleeping
                        gsx750ex red 81 in parts sleeping

Comment

118 mph with Marshall Deeptone 4 in1 and stock carbs.
                          The 4 in 1 seems to restrict flow somewhat as it is deep blue just before the silencer. Should go faster with the stock exhaust.
                          But for more than 70k miles it is fast enough.
                          XS1100 and XS650- what do you need more?

Comment

Working...
                          X