Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How fast does she go...

What is your setup like?
    I am interested in the 'mix n match' of standard/non-standard Filters, Exhaust, Carb Jets (all of em) and Other mods compared with the respective Top end grunt (speed) & RPM.

So... How does your old beautie pull and does she go all the way.

E/:?)njoy.

What was the standard Top End ?ph

My 82S tops out at 100mph/6.5Krevs, Standard Air box, Wears a 4into1 (now straight thru as she spat the baffle out) I assume standard Jets – Looks like my vacuum-actuated advance/retard mechanism does not work (time to play)

Comment

I don't know what the top end is, I have not gone that fast. I ride a 79F, standard airbox with a K&N filter, Yamaha "S" mufflers. I also have a vetter fairing and box on it, and can hit 110 easily. That's as fast as I've needed to go so far, and I know it will go faster. With the fairing I should be able to hit at least 125, and possibly 130 if it's tuned properly.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I've had my speedo saying 145. I think thats a little too fast for an uncontroled enviroment, and tires that are not rated for over 130mph. The front end starts to feel really light at that speed also. Everything is stock. Stock carbs, jets,air cleaner, exaust, etc.. Full vetter fairing ( minus lowers ) Vetter saddle bags. Pulls hard and smooth from 1500 rpm up to red line. A little hard shifting though the gears when pulling hard. Ya gotta shift her like ya mean it. Clutch does slip a little at around 5500 rpm's, with two up and pulling hard. I forgot to mention that when the speedo was reading 145, rpm's were at around 8700. She'll go faster but not with me on it and not as long as I own her.
        Remember now you can't go be the speedo. It will just give you an idea of what your doing. You can safelly say you can knock off around 10 mph at that speed.
        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
        1-big XS patch
        1-small XS/XJ patch
        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Yep, that is your typical 10% speedometer error. If 3050 rpms is 60 mph actual, then, 8700 is 132 mph actual. BUT, that is toooo fast for these noodle frames, even with a fork brace. OK, let me just say that is to fast for this old man!

Originally posted by Czekus21
          I've had my speedo saying 145. I think thats a little too fast for an uncontroled enviroment, and tires that are not rated for over 130mph. The front end starts to feel really light at that speed also. Everything is stock. Stock carbs, jets,air cleaner, exaust, etc.. Full vetter fairing ( minus lowers ) Vetter saddle bags. Pulls hard and smooth from 1500 rpm up to red line. A little hard shifting though the gears when pulling hard. Ya gotta shift her like ya mean it. Clutch does slip a little at around 5500 rpm's, with two up and pulling hard. I forgot to mention that when the speedo was reading 145, rpm's were at around 8700. She'll go faster but not with me on it and not as long as I own her.
          Remember now you can't go be the speedo. It will just give you an idea of what your doing. You can safelly say you can knock off around 10 mph at that speed.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Oops, typo. I meant 3950 at 60 mph.

Originally posted by skids
            Yep, that is your typical 10% speedometer error. If 3050 rpms is 60 mph actual, then, 8700 is 132 mph actual. BUT, that is toooo fast for these noodle frames, even with a fork brace. OK, let me just say that is to fast for this old man!

Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

My E nekkid with Jardine 4 into 2 and K&N in the airbox read 143 on the stock speedo at about 9,000 RPM on the stock tach.
              I just 'touched' this speed and was glancing down at the gauges (4" from my nose through the face shield that was pressed back against my face).
              This was also with a slight tailwind (does a 10 MPH tailwind really help at that speed?) and downhill.
              The bike was still pulling strong which surprised me. Every other vehicle I've ever owned couldn't do redline in top gear.
              I did this once and don't feel compelled to do it again tho 120-125 MPH is occasionally fun (when the front end dosen't wobble like mine tends to do around that speed).
              When I get new tires on my LG it will get one "top-end blast" too. For now I've only had it to 80 MPH (140 MPH XS750 speedo).
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

hmmmmmm. When my 80 Special was running, with K&N air filter stock pipes (with no Baffles ) everything else fairly stock, i never got it over 85 mph according to the speedo , but was running next to a harly sportster and he said we were at 120 and still had a lot of energy left in her i could tell but we ran out of road fast!!!
                SSHHHHHHHHHHH (Cant talk now the Squirrels are Watching)

Comment

'79 SF

I've had my '79 Special up to 135 before I chickened out... the bike seemed like it wanted to go faster. It's stock with the exception of new coil wires. It occasionally has Yamaha hard saddlebags. I get up to 110 every time I drive down to Orange County. They've got freeways down there that are 10 lanes in each direction and straight as an arrow for miles.
                  '79XS1100SF "Little Timmy"
                  '66 Thunderbird

Comment

I had mine up to 120 riding with a passenger
                    i snapped it wide open and it surged forward continuing to
                    climb in speed
                    backed off at that point
                    not to many people can say this
                    only 40 miles on bike, bone stock of course, same day i drove it off the dealers lot. back in 78
                    still have the very same bike
                    lately i only go to 90 or so ( my choice not the bikes )
                    but i get there quickly
                    she still has it
                    http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
                    78E main ride, since birth the "good"
                    78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
                    78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
                    79F Parts
                    80G Parts
                    75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

don't know

not really sure ,the cop wouldn't tell me. He just said it took him ten min. to catch me.And claimed i was doing way over double the legal limit.(55) thats with 4-1 kerker stock jets and airbox.
                      1982 XJ 1100
                      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

'78 E standard. individual filters, Supertrapp 4-1 can't remember what jets I have in it now. Pulls very hard past 2500 rpm. I think that the fastest that I have had it is about 105. Lots of motor left. I think that I was only in 2nd gear....
                        Travis Miller
                        1978 E

Comment

standard spec 79 sf 110 still pullin strong clutch slips ,road not long enough , 2 mile stretch with big bends!!! and speed traps everywhere ,so got to find the perfect stretch .

no where near the red line

i asked just this sort of question before and got a bollocking of a load of old farts for speeding???
                          Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Comment

... i asked just this sort of question before and got a bollocking of a load of old farts for speeding???

Ain’t nothing wrong with speeding - on or off the bike /:?(

Joking aside, this is real use full info. It gives a real good benchmark for your setup Vs performance.

Give it XS and E/:?)njoy

Comment

that was exactly my point before as well ,and id read all the mags etc and just wanted the truth from normal road bike riders about what the bike they bought was like,not from some racer who wouldnt look twice at a proper motorcycle slating it for its handling etc i just wanted the facts from real people
                              glad this thread is throwing them up !! without any boring politics!!!!

please may it continue !!!
                              Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Comment

Working...
                              X