Rear Master cylinder rebuild kit???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Master cylinder rebuild kit???

Hey there just wondering about the rear master cylinder im going to be performing all around brake job front and rear with new pads brake fluid and I also got the front master cylinder rebuild kit. no information on a rebuild kit for the rear is there any parts available is it the same kit for the rear. what gives? Any advice on this this bikes been sitting and definately needs an overhaul as i tried riding bike round corner just a bit front right is kinda siezed a bit and very little power i mean little power from linked front and rear. also what steps in cleaning up the calipers all around. Thanks a bunch guys!

I've got a rear kit from Parts n More, part #08-0216, $18.00.
    I have yet to install it (and I really need to, I have no rear brake on the E).
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I just ordered the kit from partsnmore also. I have done the front brakes twice, but have never had to work on the rear, until now.

Today, while riding home from work, my rear brake started dragging really badly. It was smokin' hot by the time that I got home.
      I know that often if the front brakes are not working properly, it can be caused by a clogged "spooge hole"
      Is this a similar situation in the rear? Anything else that I should be looking at? (to cause the dragging situation)
      Sorry to hijack your thread,OpFlash, but maybe we can both learn a little here.
      Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Rear Brake

Newmac, put the bike on it's center stand. Step on the rear brake a couple of times. Now try and turn the wheel. If it drags really hard open the bleeder screw on the caliper. If it still drags hard, than the caliper is seizing and will have to be serviced. If the drag is gone then the spooge hole is plugged or the push rod is adjusted to far up into the master. If you have never done your rear brakes than I would suggest that after 25 years or so you should threat it to a master cylinder and caliper kit.
        Ken/Sooke

Comment

Hey pat, I will trade you, I have no front brakes on my 78 E!! I just ordered a new master cylider as the old one is hosed.

I had the same problem with the rear brakes on the bike. I just needed to take apart the rear caliper and clean. Works great now.
          Travis Miller
          1978 E

Comment

thanks for the tip on the rear kit whats the website address if you have it? dont worry bout the hijack theres much to learn indeed thanks guys

Comment

just checked parts n more site no rear master cylinder rebuild kits just the front looks like they have the rear sets for only the xs's any one else have any thoughts?

Comment

XJ rear master cylinder kit

I got a rear master cylinder kit for my XJ from Speed and Sport, http://www.yamatopdog.com/ , (866)701-3396. I called and talked to Cindy. The part # is 10M-W0042-00-00. The price was $39.44 and they have 2 in stock.

Double check that part #, It might be superceeded by a new one.
                Louis

"There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
                brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
                '82 XJ1100J
                LED Dir and running lights
                LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
                Modulated H/L
                PIAA Driving lights
                YICS Eliminated
                750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

hey anyone out there have a diagram of that rear master cylinder didnt see one in the parts catalog. thanks

Comment

just ordered the rear master cylinder kit today however the staff was not as friendly as you mentioned. Oh well had no choice but to eat it where else am i gonna get that damn kit! who cares anyway soon ill have my xj on the road again. still wondering if theres another one out there with fewer miles!

Comment

Hey the rear master cylinder kit arrived today the overall experiece with yamatopdog wasnt the best but i got the part and thats all i care about. Basically the parts guy wasnt being very helpful. no worries now to find time to get my ass to work.

Comment

Working...
                      X