Headlight adjustment specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight adjustment specs?

My headlamp seems to nicely illuminate the lower tree branches, but doesn't light the road well.
    I searched but couldn't find any info regarding the proper adjustment.
    I seem to recall a spec with measurments.
    ie: park on level ground, X number of feet from a wall. Low beam should be centered @ X number of feet from the ground.

Can anyone fill in the blanks?
    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Headlight Aim

I think that it is covered in the Clymer Manuel. Plus just use some common sense. Line up the bike with your garage door. Measure the distance from the center of the head light to the ground. Put a mark on your garage door. Put the head light on high beam and center the beam on the mark. Go out for a road test after dark and adjust to suit.
    Ken/Sooke

Comment

Mike;
      I'll be working on my suburban close to you this evening. Drive on over, and I can give you a hand.
      I'm on east estates drive, off Bollinger.
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

See how my memory is - 1 inch drop for every 17 feet.

Park your ride on level ground, have someone hold it upright while sitting on it, 17 feet from a wall. Measure the headlight center height above ground and the center of the beam should be 1 inch lower at 17 feet.

Try it at night, easier to see the beam. And try it with someone similar to you in weight sitting on the bike.

How'd I do?
        Marty in NW PA
        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

Working...
        X